snapped chain = locked transmission??

More
09 Jul 2013 01:30 - 09 Jul 2013 01:32 #595639 by syph0r
SO I got to take the bike out finally on some longer rides today. Noticed my chain was a little loose .. and that my clutch handle was very tight. barely pull it and it engaged the clutched. I loosened up the handle and planned on getting a new chain tomorrow.

I took a night ride to enjoy the weather after dinner.. and left a stop sign... accelerated.. CLUNK!... engine went dead chain was dragging. Figured the chain just snapped since its broken at the top of the loop. however took 20 min to get it to finally get to neutral to get it started again but even with the clutch engaged click it into gear and motor stops instantly. I tried adjusting the clutch handle but still no dice. The chain will not move or come out so I'll have to pull the cover off wednesday when i get time .. possibly tuesday night. I figure the chain is bunched up around the sprocket and possibly wedged, but would that cause it to stop even with the clutch pulled?

Could the chain snap possibly have screwed up the transmission.. or even the clutch? Is there anything specific I need to looking at or for?

I have built a few cars.. and am mechanically inclined.. but i just haven't worked on many motorcycles. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

it's a 1982 csr750 twin cyl.

rides:
1982 Kawasaki CSR750
1989 Maxda RX7
1994 Mazda RX7
2004 Ford Ranger
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 01:32 by syph0r. Reason: forgot to add bike info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2013 01:53 #595641 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
Probably bent your release shaft or mechanisim and it really isn't releasing. Hope for nothing major to be damaged.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: syph0r

More
09 Jul 2013 08:42 #595651 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
I'm glad you weren't hurt, consider it a learning experience. For future reference you should consider keeping up with the maintenance on your bike much more carefully. A chain should never snap - something was neglected big time. You mentioned that the chain snapped when pulling away from a stop sign. Imagine if it had snapped when shifting into 5th gear at about 90 mph - you could have been killed. Not trying to scare you, but you do need to be aware that unlike a car, in which a lack of maintenance can leave you stranded, that same lack of maintenance on a bike can really hurt you. Be careful,we don't want to lose anyone. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Jul 2013 11:08 #595660 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
Replace the sprockets when you replace the chain.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
10 Jul 2013 18:11 #595858 by syph0r
Replied by syph0r on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
Thanks for the help guys. Plans had changed yesterday and was able to work on it and get most of the parts i need to fix it. got a new o-ring chain (%125) and then had to run somewhere else to pick up a new masterlink :/ but got it and it put on for 20.. so not bad. the clutch push rod got hit by the chain and bent and snapped. luckily it was the end that snapped off so it wasn't damaged inside the transmisson. Tho Kawasaki does not make the rods anymore and you can't buy them. so i had a local machine shop and had one made. works great and is riding smooth.

definitely glad i'm ok. and that there wasn't more damage done to the bike. Thanks for the advice and info guys :)

rides:
1982 Kawasaki CSR750
1989 Maxda RX7
1994 Mazda RX7
2004 Ford Ranger

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Jul 2013 21:33 #595896 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
New chain, should include New Sprockets. :unsure:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 Jul 2013 22:11 #595908 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??

Motor Head wrote: New chain, should include New Sprockets. :unsure:

X1236 !! Your chain won't last any time without new sprockets. You should pay attention to riders that give good advice.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
10 Jul 2013 22:29 #595911 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
I don't want to be insulting, Just wondering, as you said you were not to familiar with bikes, do you know what to look for in a worn sprocket?

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

More
10 Jul 2013 23:03 #595919 by NZGlenn
Replied by NZGlenn on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
If your new masterlink is a circlip type go and get a rivet type link and get the rivet put on instead.

1984 GPz1100A2

More
10 Jul 2013 23:39 #595926 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??

NZGlenn wrote: If your new masterlink is a circlip type go and get a rivet type link and get the rivet put on instead.

Not necessarily. The master link MUST match the chain. Don't just get any flavor master link as different chains have slight differences; get the master link made by and/or specified by the chain manufacturer. So if the maker of the chain provides & specifies a rivet type - yes, by all means use what they provide/specify. However, if they provide/specify the clip type you should follow their recommendation and use the clip type that they specify. If you do use the clip type ensure that the open end is trailing as the chain rotates around the sprocket. On my D.I.D. O-ring chain D.I.D. provided the clip type. It has been on there for well over 18,000 miles with zero problems. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Jul 2013 19:38 #596653 by syph0r
Replied by syph0r on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
Well guys.. sorry for the delay in update.. but i got a new o-ring chain and the masterlink is riveted style.

When the chain snapped it bunched up on the front sprocket and bent the clutch push rod and snapped the tip off. Of course the rod is no longer available through my local parts store, so I had one machined. Little longer than the orginal but only a couple mm's so it's working just fine.

Thank you guys for information and concern. I'm also glad I wasn't hurt and it was a good learning experience.

rides:
1982 Kawasaki CSR750
1989 Maxda RX7
1994 Mazda RX7
2004 Ford Ranger

More
15 Jul 2013 21:06 #596661 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic snapped chain = locked transmission??
He still ain't listening to ya'll.

I payed will over $150.00 for my chain and no way in HELL
I'd have put it on old sprocket's.

Then again if my chain break's at the drag strip
and lock's the wheel it ain't gonna skid the tire till
after it toss's me over the bar's.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.