Engine bogs down low when not really really hot

More
04 Jul 2013 09:56 #595017 by QNman
I have a kz 750 H4. She's running - and well, generally. She starts quickly, even when cold, and doesn't need the choke more than about 30 seconds. But when on the road, especially from a stand still, if you hit the throttle with anything but the most gentle hand she bogs down (at first). Even rolling, if you nail it down low, she hesitates before taking off. Once she hits about 3,000 RPMS... hold on. She pulls like a freight train all the way to redline. The warmer the engine, the less pronounced the hesitation, but it never fully disappears.

FYI - when I say "bogs", she doesn't do a textbook bog, where the power just falls on its face... she kind of hesitates and misses a little, almost like the timing advance is lagging the throttle, but it eventually gets there. I'm not sure how a timing advance could be delayed but still work....

The bike was wrecked when I bought her, and she'd been sitting for the better part of a year. So I threw some Seafoam in the tank, hoping this will help. She had been stored properly for the most part, but sitting that long is never a good thing.

Any thoughts on what I should check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2013 09:59 #595019 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Engine bogs down low when not really really hot
Sounds like a rich condition but you could check your timing advance to make sure it is lubed and not sticking.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
04 Jul 2013 10:30 #595022 by Patton
If the issue persists, even with a correctly functioning timing advancer, would suspect clogged carb pilot circuits.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Jul 2013 10:33 - 05 Jul 2013 06:30 #595023 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Engine bogs down low when not really really hot
Have you gone through the carbs (cleaning, plugged pilot jets, clean air filter etc...)...?

Electrical circuits (coils/ignition components (Points-condenser or EI)/connections/charging etc...) all to specifications...?

Voltage at the coils...?
Charging system voltage to specifications...?

Valve clearance/shim adjustments to specifications...?

Camshaft markings (tooth count) aligned to spec...?

Think that would be a good starting point for confirmations...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 06:30 by Old Man Rock.

More
04 Jul 2013 10:46 #595028 by Patton
Here's a diagram showing how to spray carb cleaner to assure it's exiting into the carb throat.

This test assures that the tiny passageway into the pilot circuit is clear

On carbs fitted with plugs over end of pilot jets, the plugs are essential.

On later model BS34 carb that eliminated the plug at end of pilot jet (and I believe also eliminated the tiny passageway), may spray carb cleaner directly into the pilot jet to assure the spray exits into the carb bore.

The objective is to assure that fuel mixture may travel through the pilot circuit into the carb bore to be sucked into the combustion chamber.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Jul 2013 14:42 #595050 by crh
Based on what you describe [gets better as the engine warms up] I'd say your pilot circuits need to be richened up. Drill out the fuel screw plugs and adjust your pilot fuel screws. If you need more than 3.5 turns out, go up on the pilot jet one size and start the screw adjustment process over. Out is richer, in is leaner.

More
04 Jul 2013 17:08 #595067 by QNman
Good stuff, guys... I will start at the bottom (easiest) and work my way up (hardest). When it is solved, I'll report back here.

More
07 Jul 2013 11:03 #595363 by QNman
OK... first things I did - I pulled the old K&N that the previous owner had put it. I am in idiot for not checking this, but... cleaned out great big gobs of greasy fur ball stuff from the bottom of the filter. Then I opened and lubed the timing advance per the Clymers manual.

Hesitation is gone. Completely and utterly GONE. MAN this baby is fast!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!