Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cam caps 26 Jun 2013 15:17 #594010

• fat z
  • fat z's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Got a question for everybody. Does anyone have the cam cap tightening sequence and torque spec for a kz900. I don't have my manual handy and i need to check out my exhaust cam, it looks like it's a little too far to the left. I was checking valve clearances, and i noticed the lower left side of the bore for the bucket had a nick in, like it caught the edge of the cam lobe. I also have a tick in the top end on the right side of the engine. But it only happens when i start to get into the upper rpms, never when I'm putting around. Valve clearances are good and i have no stuck buckets. I'm suspecting when i get on it, the cam is moving over and hitting the bucket bore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cam caps 26 Jun 2013 15:28 #594013

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Here is what I got. But be aware of the torque recommendation. Some manuals are wrong and you will end up over torquing and stripping bolt holes. Also remember, you are using an in-lb torque wrench not a ft-lb wrench. I followed the sequence a number of times when installing my camshafts. Tightening a little more through each iteration of the tightening pattern. Tightening evenly a little at a time on each bolt until the cam is pulled down all the way and seated before giving it a final tightening to the recommended spec. Some manuals are wrong.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Attachments:

Last edit: by KZJOE900.

cam caps 26 Jun 2013 17:13 #594020

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
I believe about 104 inch-pounds is right for the camshaft cap bolts (don't exceed this) but the cam cover itself: I use a lot less, more like 60 - 70 I-P to keep from crushing the gasket. YMMV
1979 KZ-750 Twin

cam caps 26 Jun 2013 18:22 #594030

• fat z
  • User
Thanks, that's just what I needed.

cam caps 26 Jun 2013 19:58 #594035

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
FatZ, take care when pulling down exhaust cam that tacho gear wheel is free as tension is put on the retaining bolts.
RegardZ.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

cam caps 26 Jun 2013 22:54 #594060

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Downloadable Z1-KZ900 FSM from KZr's FILEBASE --
www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/43...asaki-service-manual

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

cam caps 28 Jun 2013 07:42 #594205

• crh
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 20

fat z wrote: Got a question for everybody. Does anyone have the cam cap tightening sequence and torque spec for a kz900. I don't have my manual handy and i need to check out my exhaust cam, it looks like it's a little too far to the left. I was checking valve clearances, and i noticed the lower left side of the bore for the bucket had a nick in, like it caught the edge of the cam lobe. I also have a tick in the top end on the right side of the engine. But it only happens when i start to get into the upper rpms, never when I'm putting around. Valve clearances are good and i have no stuck buckets. I'm suspecting when i get on it, the cam is moving over and hitting the bucket bore.

Lateral thrust is controlled by #1 cam cap and the thrust faces on the cam. I've never seen one so worn out that it walked far enough to allow the lobe to hit the edge of the tappet bore.

I have however seen poorly ground aftermarket cams that are supposed to be drop in grinds, hit the edge like that but it was on #4 cylinder.

cam caps 28 Jun 2013 14:30 #594234

• fat z
  • User
That's what's happening. On the number 4 cylinder on the exhaust side only. Its actually on all four exhaust tappet bores, but it's the most pronounced on number 4. Number 1 and 2 have very slight nicking. My question now is would that be the source of the tick. It sounds like a loose shim. But all my clearances are good. Could the shim itself be bad in some sort of way and be causing the tick. The cams by the way are web cams 119 grind.

cam caps 28 Jun 2013 19:35 #594268

• crh
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 20
That's the exact grind I ran into problems with. I sent them back. Caught it before I assembled the head for the customer.... If you can't do that, you'll have to pull the head apart and clearance the bores a tiny bit. Q.C. leaves a lot to be desired in aftermarket these days :(

The tick could be from that or it could be because the lobes are ground poorly....silencing portion of the ramp incorrect or not there at all. When the cam won't even drop in, it makes you wonder what else is screwed up about them.

I see a lot of aftermarket cams. THE BEST ground cams come from Megacycle. They are head and shoulders above the rest in quality.

Last edit: by crh.

cam caps 04 Dec 2018 16:42 #794638

• kz650guy123
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I hate to bump this old thread but it's the only one I could find with the cam torquing sequence like my manual.
In that manual page above showing the sequence, which way is the front / exhaust side ? There are no arrows showing front or anything.
Are those things sticking out suppose to be carburetor mounts or exhaust connections ??
Just want to be absolutely sure before torquing my cam bearings.

cam caps 04 Dec 2018 17:26 #794640

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Look at the cam caps on your engine and look at the picture of the cam caps in the manual under the “Camshaft Cap Tightening Order” section. Notice that each of the caps has an arrow and a number molded into it.

When installing the caps all the arrows need to face forward. The numbers refer to the location of each cap when properly mounted on the camshafts. The 4 exhaust cam caps are marked 1 through 4. As you sit on the bike you mount them starting with #1 on the far left side of the engine with #4 ending on the far right side of the engine. The 4 intake cam caps are marked 5 through 8. You mount them starting with #5 on the far left side of the engine with #8 ending on the far right side of the engine.

If you look at the drawing in the Kawasaki Service Manual this should all become easy to understand. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

cam caps 04 Dec 2018 17:33 #794642

• kz650guy123
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the reply Ed.
So looking at that picture above. The top of the picture is toward the front of the bike ?
The carburetors would be mounted at the bottom of the picture ?
I have a kz1000 j engine

• Page: