Intake/exhaust port block-off plates

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2013 19:30 #592764 by mtbspeedfreak
Intake/exhaust port block-off plates was created by mtbspeedfreak
Hey folks,

I'm preparing an engine for long-term storage. It's been in storage for a decade before I bought it, though it did not have the cams installed or ANY engine covers, cam cover, or oil pan. I'm sourcing those parts now and getting a gasket and bolt set. This engine will be completely overhauled once it's brought out of storage.

I'm looking for plates to block the intake and exhaust ports - just something to seal the ports so dust or insects cannot get inside. Does anyone know of a set?

Also, should I mount the cams, or would there be any adverse wear on them? I will be replacing valve springs during the rebuild.

Thanks,
Mark

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Jun 2013 21:47 #592790 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Intake/exhaust port block-off plates
For the Intake. Remove the carb holders, then use Duct Tape across the IN ports. Replace the carb holders. That should seal them. The EX though might be tougher. I haven't seen any made for it. But if you had an old header, you could cut the ends for the ports off, then weld a cap on to them, then bolt those up. An old header with road rash would be perfect.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
20 Jun 2013 03:03 #593176 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Intake/exhaust port block-off plates
Why bother ?
If its been sitting for a decade so whats another 6 months or a year or 2?
If you are going to rebuild it put your efforts into things that can save you money .
Look after the paint and the bright work if its worth the effort.

1974 Z1a, still 903

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
21 Jun 2013 19:17 - 21 Jun 2013 19:35 #593428 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Intake/exhaust port block-off plates
Sorry Mark I forgot to get back to this thread and I just saw your wanted post.

This is what I do.

Cut out 4 plastic circles from a coffee can lid the size of exhaust washers and sealed them in with a little tub and tile caulk, note; that's what I had available.
leaving a little weep hole at the bottom in case any moisture gets in during cleaning.

When you are ready to remove them the caulk cleans off easy and any leftover gets burned up

JD

Attachment Zachsengine.jpg not found

A lot cleaner but still a ways to go

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2013 19:35 by bluej58.

More
21 Jun 2013 20:35 #593436 by kimsmith4807
Replied by kimsmith4807 on topic Intake/exhaust port block-off plates
Ping pong balls fit nicely in the exhaust ports. Some rubber bands from flange bolt to flange bolt holds them in. On the intake I used chunks of foam, the kind you might find in tool/equipment cases. I just stuffed them in there.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD