Clutch lever adjustment problems

More
30 May 2013 21:28 #589997 by DBSoundman
Clutch lever adjustment problems was created by DBSoundman
First let me start off by saying I know there's probably five dozen or so threads on clutch adjustment problems. I'm reading through them but as I do if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it as this is my daily driver currently.

So yesterday I had the day off and it was a beautiful 80 or more degree day out in St. Louis. Tiana, the girlfriend, and I decided to go to the zoo. She hadn't ridden on the bike yet so I thought it would be a great time to try. Forest park is a great ride through with lots of hills and curves to give me a feel for a passenger. The ride was great. On the way back to her place how ever I was noticing the idle dropping when I came to a stop and then it started dying if I didn't apply a little throttle. I had the clutch lever pulled as hard as I could but it wasn't disengaging.

I wasn't far from her place so we parked and I adjusted the clutch cable at the lever. Even with it as far out as I could I wasn't getting it comfortable. I didn't have any tools at the time so I rode it back home as was. Wasn't terrible, made it with no worries.

Today I rode to work and noticed the problem was still there and decided to work on it when I got home. On the ride home how ever it got worse. Worse to the point where I pulled to my drive way and had to shift to neutral, which was more challenging then normal, to keep it from dying.

I adjusted the middle of the cable and readjusted the top. It got tight but too tight. There was no throttle zone and it wasn't pulling back into place correctly. I had removed the sprocket cover to get a better look. Everything was in place but I couldn't remember if the cable was suppose to pull up from the bottome or down from the top. Down from the bottom felt like it was getting caught so I put it back to pull down from the top.

I was trying to adjust the lock nut and screw on the outside of the cover but it hasn't been affecting anything. It started to rain so I covered it and came inside to do more research.

I'm sure if everything is ok that I should be able to get the adjustments back to normal but I'm just really concerned with how quickly the clutch stopped working. I was afraid it had snapped somewhere.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2013 21:43 #590003 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems
I would make sure you post your year and model.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 May 2013 21:47 #590005 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I would make sure you post your year and model.

81 KZ440 LTD from his first new member post.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 May 2013 21:47 #590006 by DBSoundman
Replied by DBSoundman on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I would make sure you post your year and model.

Right! Thanks. '81 440ltd

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 May 2013 22:48 #590021 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems
Try downloading the 400/440 service manual here: www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html
That should have all the correct clutch info for you.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
31 May 2013 01:54 #590049 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems
:blink: Your bike is jealous of your girlfriend, and is upset that you had her along. These Kaws can be fickle at times. :ohmy:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
31 May 2013 09:50 #590072 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems
Clutch release adjustment. On the 440, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to turn the clutch release adjusting screw counterclockwise first, then clockwise 1/4 turn (or maybe a 1/2 turn). The owner's manual should have the complete procedure Some manuals specify which way you're supposed to turn the adjusting screw. Others, including some factory manuals, are ambiguous about which direction.

More
31 May 2013 09:54 #590075 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems
Be sure to check the condition of your clutch cable. If it is frayed replace it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
31 May 2013 10:04 #590078 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems
lube it too while you have it off

81 kz 550 ltd

More
31 May 2013 13:11 #590100 by DBSoundman
So from doing some more poking around I found that my cotter pin is actually missing. The adjustment screw for the release lever is stuck as well. I'm going to do a cleaning of the whole area and try putting it back together. Also going to check if the parts bike I have has an extra cable. No work this weekend so I should have plenty of time to figure it out. I'll keep posting updates as I work.

More
31 May 2013 14:47 #590105 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Clutch lever adjustment problems

DBSoundman wrote: I'll keep posting updates as I work.

Study the service manual and clutch adjustment procedure, when you have it working, THEN post on forums. lol

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
02 Jun 2013 02:10 #590388 by DBSoundman
got everything put back together... still stuck with an engaged clutch. Starting to wonder if I need to look at the right side as everything on the left is fine according to all the manuals I can find. I tried pushing the pushrod manually but I didn't feel it moving anything. Not sure what could be wrong on the right side so I may end up taking it to a local shop.