No longer a happy rider

More
15 May 2013 19:18 #587579 by dnestvold
No longer a happy rider was created by dnestvold
got my bike up and running, runs really well. couldn't be happier with everything there, only problem is I seem to have noise coming from the primary chain :( The hard on is where I work on it is an hour ride away, that being said I can't ride my bike and take my car up so I need to bring everything up with me and get it repaired in a couple days. so other than a new chain and a full gasket set what else should I have with me? the bike only has 20k miles on it. I guess one thing I have going for me is I'll be working on it right by Dennis Kirk :) also what recommendations as to where I should get the parts? I seen that Z1 has the gasket set but it don't have case gaskets.

83 KZ750F1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2013 20:01 #587583 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic No longer a happy rider
I don't know what kind of bike you have (please add the year / model to your signature line) but I doubt you need a primary chain if it only has 20k miles - that is unheard of. The primary chains on KZ's are pretty tough, so if the bike was so abused (let's say run with no oil) that the primary chain was shot in so few miles you would most likely have other major issues (like no compression).

What makes you believe the primary chain is shot? If it's making noise at idle you probably just need to sync your carbs. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 May 2013 20:34 - 15 May 2013 20:39 #587588 by dnestvold
Replied by dnestvold on topic No longer a happy rider
oops, thought I had it in my sig. guess I should have paid attention, I have a KZ750F1 83

as far as why, when I put it on the center stand in gear, and rock the rear wheel I can hear the chain hit the case, as well as engine noise at idle, have used stethoscope and it's coming from the center of the trans case. I originally thought about out the carbs being out of sync but after hearing the noise when rocking the rear wheel....

83 KZ750F1
Last edit: 15 May 2013 20:39 by dnestvold.

More
15 May 2013 20:52 #587593 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic No longer a happy rider
Get the gasket set from Z1 and the main case's do not use a gasket
just a sealer.
I used Hondabond when I had mine apart.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
15 May 2013 21:00 #587597 by 650ed
If you drop your oil pan you may be able to measure the slack in the chain. On the KZ650 the service limit is 27mm; the Kawasaki Service Manual should show the limit for yours (it's probably the same as the KZ650). Ed

More
15 May 2013 22:19 #587615 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic No longer a happy rider
I really doubt your primary chain is bad. I would start with a tune up including cam chain tensioner adjustment and synching the carbs. Out of synch carbs will make the primary chain rattle really bad at idle.
I have over 150,000 hard miles on the lower end of my KZ650 and it is still in good shape. That includes wheelies, burnouts, drag racing and road racing. I don't think the primary chain is your problem. Do some trouble shooting beyond rocking the bike back and forth before you tear into it.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 May 2013 23:40 #587649 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No longer a happy rider

650ed wrote: If you drop your oil pan you may be able to measure the slack in the chain. On the KZ650 the service limit is 27mm; the Kawasaki Service Manual should show the limit for yours (it's probably the same as the KZ650). Ed

+1 Should be less than 25mm, about an inch. If it is more than that, or if you see a damaged link, then it will need replacing. But check it like 650ed said.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
16 May 2013 01:20 #587671 by dnestvold
Replied by dnestvold on topic No longer a happy rider
you have all gotten me thinking, I'm going to check the carb sync in the morning, if I don't find anything there I'll pull the pan. where is a good place to get a pan gasket? I appreciate the input about this problem. I normally work on cars this is the first bike I've really gotten into.

83 KZ750F1

More
16 May 2013 01:38 #587672 by steell
Replied by steell on topic No longer a happy rider
I'll bet we've had this conversation over 100 times here on KZR, and it always comes down to carbs out of sync. I've torn down a lot of 750 four motors and I've never seen a bad primary chain.

KD9JUR

More
16 May 2013 04:28 #587682 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic No longer a happy rider
A screwed up ignition timing advancer on mine that was letting the timing jump around at idle which was making the engine buck and I could hear the primary chain clack every time it kicked back.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 May 2013 09:12 #587705 by 650ed

dnestvold wrote: you have all gotten me thinking, I'm going to check the carb sync in the morning, if I don't find anything there I'll pull the pan. where is a good place to get a pan gasket? I appreciate the input about this problem. I normally work on cars this is the first bike I've really gotten into.

The oil pan gasket is still an "Active" part so any online or local dealer can order it for you. Ronayers.com lists it at $13.32. Ed

• HOGEATER
  • User
  • Been riding 2 wheels since 1965,
More
17 May 2013 16:00 #587951 by HOGEATER
Replied by HOGEATER on topic No longer a happy rider
Are you POSITIVE you hear noise from the engine and NOT your DRIVE chain?? You said you could hear it when you rock the rear wheel back and forth, your DRIVE chain could be REAL loose and hitting the swingarm , if so I'd replace a chain that loose!!!

The PRIMARY chains on the KAWs are ALMOST bulletproof. I had a Z1000 with close to 90K miles and it was USED and ABUSED but NEVER had PRIMARY noise!!

HOGEATER(CHUCK)