Disappointed by V&H exhaust

More
31 May 2013 11:51 - 31 May 2013 11:52 #590095 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
Vance & Hines doesn't seem to care. We've beat on them so many times...

We receive roughly 30% of the pipes damaged or bad. We have to go through each pipe and inspect for damage due to poor packing, and unacceptable imperfections.

The only reason we carry them is for some of the bikes it is the only option other than MAC.

Here is an excerpt from an email I sent their sales manager a few years ago... not surprisingly I didn't even get a response to it. Sad.

Packing & Quality:
30% of the pipes coming in were unsalable. Many of the mufflers ended up getting dented in transit as there was nothing to stop the header pipe moving around inside the box. The ‘one-size fits all’ boxes just don’t stop some of the headers moving around. It wasn’t unusual to receive the boxes and have header pipes punched through the carton and hanging out the side…

Kerker uses expanding foam packs to protect their pipes – it works well.

...dinged mufflers, a mis-welded header on one pipe, missing emblems on a couple of mufflers. It took THREE months to get the final replacement mufflers for the last shipment of problem pipes. All the while V&H had our money tied up. Many of the mufflers didn’t fit on the collector. Customers would have to sand the inside of the muffler to get them to fit. The chrome quality was poor. Additionally, it wasn’t unusual to be missing some of the little parts that were supposed to be in the box. Because of all these issues, we unpack and inspect and repack EVERY pipe coming in. Something that shouldn’t happen.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 31 May 2013 11:52 by Jeff.Saunders. Reason: .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2013 12:15 #590096 by anotherZ
Replied by anotherZ on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
So not only me it seems!

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Saved it from becoming a drag bike
Smaller tank

More
31 May 2013 19:20 #590130 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
Thats the problem now...these bikes are old enough no one wants to make parts like headers for them anymore so we are relegated to whatever is out there which is getting worse and worse. All the money is in the new sportbikes...no money making some parts in the small quantities for older bikes...could be a great niche market for a smaller firm but it comes down to whether enough can be sold to make it worth while...which is getting to be ...no!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
31 May 2013 21:28 #590148 by anotherZ
I bought a stainless steel Yoshimura (copy) from a company in CA for my CB 750 a while ago, super nice exhaust. A bit on the load side for my KZ project (they make them for KZ too) but for only a little more than the V&H it would have been worth it had I known....

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Smaller tank

More
01 Jun 2013 08:08 - 01 Jun 2013 08:12 #590235 by crh
Replied by crh on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
I bought a V&H in 2007. I was fortunate as the fit and finish was good, especially considering the price. I had to work the inside of the Meg a bit with a sanding roll but that was easy. Like everything these days, quality seems to be put on the back burner and profit is all that matters. It's a crying shame because the design of the pipe is good as far as performance goes.

Attachment Rightside1comp.jpg_thumb.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jun 2013 08:12 by crh.

More
01 Jun 2013 08:39 - 01 Jun 2013 08:41 #590239 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
I'm just glad I picked up my chrome Kerker when I did ~ $500 new... Now they're >$800... :blink:
The fit, plating, exhaust tube positions etc.... on the money!

BTW Lar, still sucks you sold that phenomenally gorgeous build of yours... :(

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 01 Jun 2013 08:41 by Old Man Rock.

More
01 Jun 2013 09:58 #590250 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
I am glad mine already had a nice chrome kerker on it when i bought the bike years ago.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
01 Jun 2013 13:44 #590287 by anotherZ
Are new chrome Kerkers still available? When I checked a couple weelks ago I only saw the V&H for ~$350 and the black Kerker for ~600.
Having wanted chrome and liking the V&H on my Harley, I thought it was a no-brainer to get the V&H. Learned my lesson...

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Smaller tank

More
01 Jun 2013 13:59 #590291 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Disappointed by V&H exhaust
I must be the lucky one. I have had no issues with mine.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue