1980 kz1000G1

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
07 May 2013 00:41 - 07 May 2013 00:42 #586106 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic 1980 kz1000G1
I also have a Kz1000G -- why do so many people take off the EFI and put carbs on? The performance is much better with the fuel injection. Unless the EFI went south or something.

When I deal with a non-starting bike, here's what I check -- I'm a lazyazz sumbidge so this is the EASY stuff I put off doing any REAL work as long as possible

1) try to start it (easy)

2) immediately remove and look at the spark plugs (okay admittedly this requires I look for my plug wrench)
-- if they're wet you're getting gas; if the plugs are dry you may be too lean

3) check the battery -- now I have to find my digital volt meter and for this reason I leave my voltmeter ALWAYS right at the TOP of all the crap in my garage, on the TOP of the pile that is *right next to the door* so even if it's dark I know I can find my meter
To check the battery: leave the key off, ignition on the bike turned OFF, read the battery voltage across the battery terminals. If I don't read 12.6 volts STOP RIGHT THERE, the battery puts out 2.1 volts DC from each cell when it's correctly charged.

2.1 volts per cell x 6 cells in the battery = 12.6 volts
If I read less than 12.6 volts when the bike ignition is turned off, I need to charge the battery until it reads a stable 12.6 volts ONE HOUR *AFTER* I REMOVED THE BATTERY FROM ITS CHARGER (reading battery's voltage immediately after taking it off the charger gives a FALSE HIGH reading.)

4) turn the ignition on (turn on the key but DON'T start the bike) and re-measure the battery. If the battery reads less than 10 volts, STOP. If the battery was charged up to 12.6volts but drops sharply after the ignition is turned to 'On' (with the engine not running), the battery's plates are toast and you need a new one.

In your case, if your battery is fine, keep in mind you need 3 things to run the bike:

1) spark (and you say you've got that)

2) gas from the carbs (are the plugs wet or dry?)

3) air

Does the bike start with the choke on?

WEAK SPOT IS THE BATTERY CHECK IT FIRST. A BATTERY WILL LOSE CHARGE *MUCH* FASTER THAN GAS LEFT IN THE CARBS WILL BLOCK THE PILOT JETS.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 07 May 2013 00:42 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2013 06:52 #586270 by rlcarter
Replied by rlcarter on topic 1980 kz1000G1
the plugs are dry after trying to start so i will haave a look at that.the battey is good thanks for your help

1980 KZ1000 G w/carbs..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.