shims

More
02 May 2013 02:32 #585236 by vondikka
shims was created by vondikka
how do i remove the valve shims in my 78 kz650? I have no clearance on number 4 and want to install a smaller shim, but don't know how to remove the original. Does it require a special tool?

78 KZ650 C2
76 kz400 D3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2013 02:44 #585240 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic shims
The 650's need the cams removed as the shims are under the buckets...make sure you do all your measurements accurately for all the valves before you take out the cams so it only has to happen once. Also make sure of the cam cap bolt torque settings...get that # from the FSM not Clymer manual as it is sometimes wrong.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 May 2013 02:44 #585241 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic shims
You need to remove the camshaft on that side of motor on the 650 :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 May 2013 03:17 #585247 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic shims

RonKZ650 wrote: Yes, you need to lock the tensioner as you already know. This is the 6mm bolt on the side of the tensioner body. To lock the tensioner, simply remove that short bolt and thread in a longer bolt that will tighten against the tensioner to hold it in place. After this is done remove your valve cover. If you're careful and no moron has used gasket sealer you can remove the cover without ruining the gasket and it can be reused indefinately. Now to be safe turn the motor over clockwise with a 17mm socket on the right end of the crank until your timing marks for 1-4 indicate TDC. Now look at the cams and see the arrow on the exhaust sprocket pointing straight forward aligned with the top surface of the head and your intake facing straight back lining up with the top of the head. If the arrows are not this way, turn the motor over 1 complete revolution until 1-4 are again at TDC. Now you have cams in correct position should an accident happen during disassembly. Now the way to remove the cams as to not disturb the timing. Of course first remove the center idler sprocket from between the cams and now work on one cam at a time. Remove all 4 cam caps from one cam, push down on the chain where your center idler was and at the same time lift the cam towards the center of the engine. Be sure and keep the chain tight going down in the engine and keep all slack between the cams. Once the cam is in the center of the engine you can do your shim swaps, then carefully reposition the cam in place. The important part is keep all slack between the cams and the chain always tight going down into the engine. Bolt up the caps and you're done with that cam. Repeat for the other cam. Do it right and timing has not been goofed up. This is direct from Kawasaki 4/77 service bulletin. Get it all bolted up, reinstall your short bolt in the tensioner and you're done. Tighten cam caps to 8ft/lb or less.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, bluezbike

More
02 May 2013 08:48 #585260 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic shims
You need to get the service manual is what you truly need... ;)

Here's a link to later year model but pretty much the same.

Free KZ650 service manual

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
02 May 2013 09:36 #585265 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic shims

Old Man Rock wrote: You need to get the service manual is what you truly need... ;)

Here's a link to later year model but pretty much the same.

Free KZ650 service manual

+1

Trying to replace shims without using the Kawasaki Service Manual will be the kiss of death to your engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
02 May 2013 10:48 #585273 by Matteson
Replied by Matteson on topic shims

vondikka wrote: how do i remove the valve shims in my 78 kz650? I have no clearance on number 4 and want to install a smaller shim, but don't know how to remove the original. Does it require a special tool?

A more accurate explanation would be nil on the "no clearance" because there typically is some clearance just so tight a gauge cannot read it. You will need a shim that is small enough to put in the place of that shim to give you an idea of where to start with in sizes for the nil reading. Have fun. And keep it clean. Very clean.

KZ 900-a4

More
03 May 2013 00:09 #585380 by vondikka
Replied by vondikka on topic shims
I have a repair manual and have already removed the cams and bucket on the valve with no clearance. I just need to know how to remove the shim itself

78 KZ650 C2
76 kz400 D3

More
03 May 2013 00:13 #585382 by vondikka
My service manual says nothing about how to remove the shim, just a diagram.

78 KZ650 C2
76 kz400 D3

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 May 2013 00:15 #585383 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic shims
If you have the cam and the bucket already out, you just need a strong magnet for the shim.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 May 2013 00:49 #585397 by vondikka
Awesome

78 KZ650 C2
76 kz400 D3

More
03 May 2013 00:51 #585398 by vondikka
I'll try that. Hopefully I won't have any problems putting it back together. You guys made it sound kinda scary lol

78 KZ650 C2
76 kz400 D3