fuel gauge???

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2013 00:48 #585047 by drummerjoe10
fuel gauge??? was created by drummerjoe10
does anyone know where i can find some sort of fuel gauge for my 82 750csr? i havent found one anywhere and have no way of knowing on long rides til it peters out lettin me know i rode too long lol
i thought about takin the tank off of a 900ltd and using it on the bike cause i know z1 enterprises has a gauge for it, plus its just a little bit bigger, any thoughts??

any help appreciated
Joe
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 May 2013 00:51 #585051 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic fuel gauge???
Someone posted up some fuel tank caps from Feebay before that have a float and gauge. Otherwise probably either mod your tank to accept a sending unit, or another tank. Then of course a gauge for your instrument cluster.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: drummerjoe10

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2013 00:55 #585053 by drummerjoe10
Replied by drummerjoe10 on topic fuel gauge???
ill have to look for the cap with the float, thats what i would like to find for it but it seems about as common as chicken lips lol to ebay i go... :cheer:

More
01 May 2013 01:17 #585056 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel gauge???
It's a good habit to reset the odometer back to zero when refilling the fuel tank.
Most often reach reserve level at pretty close to the same mileage each time.
But usually just re-fill before getting to the reserve level.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2013 01:19 #585058 by drummerjoe10
thats what ive been doin most of the time usually ill remember but sometimes it slips my mind and then i get the put-put reminder lol

More
01 May 2013 02:20 #585062 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel gauge???
Rumor has it that the fuel cap style gauges are notoriously inaccurate. :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2013 02:25 #585063 by drummerjoe10
thats good to know, i think im just going to mount a standard fuel gauge and do some work on the tank to put a sending unit in, any idea what sending units from other bikes might work well? preferably side mount rather than bottom mount.
thanks in advance

Joe

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 May 2013 09:28 #585085 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic fuel gauge???
Side Mount instead of Bottom Mount?
I believe they all will be Bottom Mount. One from a similar year/ model bike as yours should work. Problem being your tank won't have the screw threads or the hole cut out and reinforced for the flange to bolt up to. Since your dealing with fuel, very flammable, be careful here. Drilling, welding etc on the tank can be dangerous. Be sure it doesn't leak fuel onto a hot engine, could be bad news. A good used Tank with the sender and petcock may be a better answer. Send a PM to KZ1006, he breaks up bikes and may have one. Or of course Feebay has Lots of used Tanks.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
01 May 2013 14:42 #585129 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic fuel gauge???

Patton wrote: It's a good habit to reset the odometer back to zero when refilling the fuel tank.

Isn't that the way we ALL did it before fuel gages on bikes became popular or common?

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
01 May 2013 20:14 #585160 by JR
Replied by JR on topic fuel gauge???

slayer61 wrote:

Patton wrote: It's a good habit to reset the odometer back to zero when refilling the fuel tank.

Isn't that the way we ALL did it before fuel gages on bikes became popular or common?

Fuel gauges exist for bikes ??????? :lol:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
01 May 2013 23:54 - 02 May 2013 00:03 #585197 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic fuel gauge???
You could make a fuel sight. Basically weld two bungs on the side of the tank, usually one low towards the rear and one high towards the front. Attach right angle fittings to the bungs pointed at each other and connect them with clear (fuel compatible) tubing. You'll be able to see the fuel level in the tube. Google image search "chopper fuel tube" to see a pic if my description is a little hard to visualize.

edit: added a pic

Attachment 453910951_tp.jpg not found

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2013 00:03 by Mullineaux.

More
01 May 2013 23:59 #585199 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic fuel gauge???

drummerjoe10 wrote: does anyone know where i can find some sort of fuel gauge for my 82 750csr? i havent found one anywhere and have no way of knowing on long rides til it peters out lettin me know i rode too long lol
i thought about takin the tank off of a 900ltd and using it on the bike cause i know z1 enterprises has a gauge for it, plus its just a little bit bigger, any thoughts??

any help appreciated
Joe

Fuel gauge? Good grief! Next thing you know bikes will come with power windows! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)