stripped spark plug hole...

More
10 May 2013 09:50 #586696 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic stripped spark plug hole...
Well, I never mentioned the make of the bike... 1. because this is a kaw site, but my question is universal to any bike. and 2. I didn't want to get made fun of ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2013 10:05 #586699 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic stripped spark plug hole...

apbling wrote: Well, I never mentioned the make of the bike... 1. because this is a kaw site, but my question is universal to any bike. and 2. I didn't want to get made fun of ;)

We would never make fun of you for working on a Honda. Pity you - yes; but never make fun of you. :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 May 2013 10:10 #586701 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic stripped spark plug hole...

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
10 May 2013 10:12 #586702 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic stripped spark plug hole...

Kidkawie wrote: don't worry, I have a Honda too

i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/Jeekinz/f200.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 May 2013 10:43 - 10 May 2013 10:45 #586708 by apbling
hehe thats good!

I can really tell after working on my 93 shadow, and my cousins 75 cb 125 and 75 cl 350 that Kawasaki seemed to be a little higher quality and it seems like you don't have to take every GD thing off the bike to get to work on one little thing.

For instance, when I have to take my carbs off my 93 shadow, I basically have to clear the day of appointments. On my 550 and 750 I could have them on and off 30 times in a day.

- not to kiss a$$, but for every bike, tv, computer, tiller, lawn mower etc etc that I work on I look for a forum. I bet I belong to 15 of them. This one by far is the best. I can ask any question and get quick and excellent responses. The other forums not so much...I know there are people with the knowledge, but they don't always take the time to answer.
Last edit: 10 May 2013 10:45 by apbling.

More
10 May 2013 11:23 - 10 May 2013 11:24 #586714 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic stripped spark plug hole...

apbling wrote: Well, I never mentioned the make of the bike... 1. because this is a kaw site, but my question is universal to any bike. and 2. I didn't want to get made fun of ;)

Not to worry, as the Honda 350 was mentioned in the initial post of this thread.

apbling wrote: So, it's not a Kawasaki, but I manage to have a Honda 350 with a stripped spark plug hole.

I REALLY don't want to pull the head, mainly because it's not my bike and I'm reviving it for a friend. Aside from finding a new head off ebay or something, what are my options?

See long-standing link in my sig --
kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/268584...-little-buddy#268584

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 May 2013 11:24 by Patton.

More
10 May 2013 21:23 #586793 by apbling
OK, so I drilled out the hole, tapped it and then started to put the insert in. The insert doesn't have a real "lip" on it, but some rough knurling around the top edge. Anyway, stupid me thought I'd feel it lock in...well I wasn't feeling it so I stopped and looked...I went a thread too far. I have blue loctite on it now... Think I'll have issues? I'm worried it will:
1. When I put the plug in it will spin the insert further in
2. When I take the plug out, it will pull the inert out (which is actually better than going in the damn cylinder...)

More
11 May 2013 09:31 - 11 May 2013 09:45 #586837 by apbling
Ok, just tried to put the plug in...worked fine.

But, I'm worried that the plug might be too far into the head. It's only a thread or two, but I'm worried the piston or valve might hit the plug. I put the plug in and turned it over with a wrench on the crank and didn't feel any resistance. However, when I pulled the plug out, the soot that was on the plug was disturbed a bit...wasn't sure if it was like that before or if the valves/piston are just barely rubbing it. Any idea how I can test this theory?

I just tried to put a little red grease on the plug. Put plug in, turn it over a few times, pulled out, the grease wasn't smudged or smeared away and no grease on piston/valves. I just got concerned when I saw the soot on the plug looked fishy (but I never looked at it BEFORE I put it in) and there is a corresponding mark on the cylinder head in the carbon that would appear like the plug touched the piston, but I can't get it to re-create that event...
Last edit: 11 May 2013 09:45 by apbling.