I found a crack in my exhaust =[

More
29 Apr 2013 20:43 - 29 Apr 2013 20:44 #584736 by magruder13
I found a crack in my exhaust =[ was created by magruder13
I've got a '77 KZ 750 that I just picked up, had a really rusted exhaust, so I started hitting it with a wire grinder to get down to bare metal to paint it. While cleaning it up near the heads I found this:

I know a guy that's been welding for some 30+ years and I'm going to see if he can fill it in with a TIG. I'm just worried about it not coming out clean enough and having trouble getting the collars back in there.

1982 Honda XL125S
1972 Yamaha TX750 (CB750 engine)
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 20:44 by magruder13.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2013 12:04 #584907 by martin_csr

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
30 Apr 2013 12:56 #584919 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic I found a crack in my exhaust =[

magruder13 wrote: I've got a '77 KZ 750 that I just picked up, had a really rusted exhaust, so I started hitting it with a wire grinder to get down to bare metal to paint it. While cleaning it up near the heads I found this:

I know a guy that's been welding for some 30+ years and I'm going to see if he can fill it in with a TIG. I'm just worried about it not coming out clean enough and having trouble getting the collars back in there.

Get it good and clean and weld it up from the inside. Then a pass with no filler on the outside to fuse the crack at the root. Your weldor friend probably knows this. Oh, and be sure to remove that gasket. ;)

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
30 Apr 2013 20:01 #584993 by magruder13
Replied by magruder13 on topic I found a crack in my exhaust =[
Martin: Thanks for that, I couldn't get it to work for some reason!

Tomw: That's actually not the gasket on the end. The pipe is two layers thick and only the outside one cracked. If you look at the picture, you can see about a half inch down the tube where the inner pipe and outer are spot welded together.

1982 Honda XL125S
1976 Kawasaki KZ400

More
30 Apr 2013 20:33 #585003 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic I found a crack in my exhaust =[
I had a kerker header that did the same thing but it burnt thru both layers before i realized it. I found a guy that said he has a jig he made for repairing the ends.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
01 May 2013 00:49 #585049 by magruder13
Replied by magruder13 on topic I found a crack in my exhaust =[

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I had a kerker header that did the same thing but it burnt thru both layers before i realized it. I found a guy that said he has a jig he made for repairing the ends.

I honestly only realized it since I ground down through a VERY thick layer of rust. Glad I did, pipes are looking good now, just need to fix the bike so I can paint the exhaust and "bake" the paint on.

1982 Honda XL125S
1976 Kawasaki KZ400

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
02 May 2013 01:48 #585232 by TomW

magruder13 wrote: Martin: Thanks for that, I couldn't get it to work for some reason!

Tomw: That's actually not the gasket on the end. The pipe is two layers thick and only the outside one cracked. If you look at the picture, you can see about a half inch down the tube where the inner pipe and outer are spot welded together.

I wondered about those spots. So how did the flange separate from the pipe? IOW why didn't the inner flange hold it together?

More
02 May 2013 03:14 - 02 May 2013 03:25 #585246 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I found a crack in my exhaust =[
The clamp and split collars press only against the flange. The pipe is otherwise free to pull out and away through the split collars and clamp (and will readily do so without the flange).

Think of it as if the flange was glued to the end of the header pipe instead of being welded, and the header otherwise installed normally. It would be relatively easy to pull the pipe free by breaking the glue bond. While the flange itself will remain held tightly in position by the clamp and split collars.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2013 03:25 by Patton.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
03 May 2013 13:39 #585441 by TomW

Patton wrote: The clamp and split collars press only against the flange. The pipe is otherwise free to pull out and away through the split collars and clamp (and will readily do so without the flange).

Think of it as if the flange was glued to the end of the header pipe instead of being welded, and the header otherwise installed normally. It would be relatively easy to pull the pipe free by breaking the glue bond. While the flange itself will remain held tightly in position by the clamp and split collars.

I know how the pipe is held on to the head. I've R&R'd them numerous times. It's apparent then that the spot or rosette welds holding the inner pipe to the outer are not all holding.