Vacuum leak?

More
26 Apr 2013 21:29 #584173 by Matteson
Vacuum leak? was created by Matteson
I believe I have singled out the problem to an ongoing issue. Was hoping I could get a little feedback. Replaced points to a Dyna S and did the coils to 3 ohm Dyna. New wires. I thought the problem of the rough and kinda hollow sound was ignition related. But all that is new and I fired the bike up and still didn't sound right. SO.. I got the torch out and when I was on the intake manifold on carb 2 it started to run smoother. Then when the torch gas was held next to the air breather the bike sounded like it was running smoother. Vacuum leak?

KZ 900-a4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2013 23:18 #584195 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Vacuum leak?
Yep, classic vacuum leak.

You may not see the place it's leaking, but the Propane gas is drawn into it.

(Using An UNLIT Propane Torch For Vacuum Leaks)

I'd look at any rubber pieces, the sync plugs on the carb holders, the holders them self,and the ducting from the air filter box to the carbs, along with any rubber vacuum lines.If your bike has the Kawasaki supplied "Smog Gear" (the vacuum switch,the reed valves, & the rubber lines from the head), any of those are suspect.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
26 Apr 2013 23:21 #584197 by Matteson
Replied by Matteson on topic Vacuum leak?
It's a kz 900. No vacuum lines. Pod filters.

KZ 900-a4

More
26 Apr 2013 23:33 #584201 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Vacuum leak?
Check the carb holders, and the propane may have been drawn in the pods,making the engine run smoother.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
26 Apr 2013 23:45 - 27 Apr 2013 00:47 #584204 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Vacuum leak?
On all Kz900/1000's the most common vacuum leak is from the intake ducts, or what some people call carb holders. The rubber things that bolt up to the cylinder head. Idle the bike, and just spray a little carb cleaner at each intake duct, and listen for the motor note to change.

If those intake ducts are over five or six years old, I will say they need to be replaced. Get rid of those cheap phillips head screws that hold them to the head and replace them with some allen bolts too. I always sealed my intake ducts with Three Bond TB1211 since way back in the 70's. Regular silicone is not gas resistant, TB1211 is after it sets up. I never liked those stock clamps that Kawasaki used on their ducts either. Wurth has some real nice thin Greman made hose clamps that work great on the Kz900/1000 ducts.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2013 00:47 by Dr. Gamma.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 Apr 2013 01:14 #584217 by Matteson
Already have socket cap screws on the scooter everywhere. When I reinstalled the intake manifolds I used Hondabond because I knew they are aged. It's my understanding that the new rubber does not require any sort of rtv or the like. I don't like trying to over engineer a design if I can get away with it but cash is tight since I just dumped it all into the new ignition. So I'm hoping to get away with the old manifolds for a few weeks. But I can't stand a poorly tuned scooter. Ugh. So I pulled the suspect manifold off and hondaboned it again and maybe it'll work for a bit.

KZ 900-a4

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
27 Apr 2013 01:31 - 27 Apr 2013 01:34 #584221 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Vacuum leak?

Matteson wrote: I believe I have singled out the problem to an ongoing issue. Was hoping I could get a little feedback. Replaced points to a Dyna S and did the coils to 3 ohm Dyna. New wires. I thought the problem of the rough and kinda hollow sound was ignition related. But all that is new and I fired the bike up and still didn't sound right. SO.. I got the torch out and when I was on the intake manifold on carb 2 it started to run smoother. Then when the torch gas was held next to the air breather the bike sounded like it was running smoother. Vacuum leak?

I would not trust a propane check with the very short distance between the intake manifold and the pod filters. I *would* maybe trust the propane check if you had a stock aspiration system, airbox entry under the seat, specifically in the stock situation where the air can only enter the engine into the 'engine silencer' in the middle-rear of the bike and far away from the intake manifolds -- that intake point is so far away from the intake manifold that yep the propane leak test might be reliable.

With pods like you have, the 'point of air intake' is moved way forward, from the mid-rear under the seat to basically the back of the carb. You have a huge air suction point right next to the intake manifolds, only the distance beteen the front and back of the carb, less distance than that actually because part of the carb's inside the intake manifold.

Think about which hole has stronger suction power in the area around the carbs/intake manifold.
A tiny hole (it must be tiny or you could see it with your eyes)?

Or the huge gaping maw on the back of the carb?

Equivalently, let's say you leave the engine off, and at the area near the intake manifolds you put a small red 'coffee stirrer straw', then near the rear of the carb you put the open end of a house vacuum (same size roughly as a carb's rear mouth opening).

You hook the straw up to the vacuum and then turn the vacuum on. Then you release propane in the area. Given that the vacuum is sucking on the tiny red 'soda straw' and the also the vacuum's nozzle, where's the propane gonna go?

Tiny red 'coffee stirring' straw

When you release gas into the area around the carbs, you can't control where the gas floats around, it will be pulled in the direction of the large opening with the greatest vacuum force, *not* the tiny hole you can't even see with your naked eye.

Only way to reliably use propane to leak-check is to eliminate that huge opening at the back of the carb to make *sure* the gas is not getting in there, and with pods it's not an option.

My point is I'd suspect
- jetting (you have both pods and an unrestrictive 4-into-1 pipe) -- may be running lean
- and/or clogged idle circuit in the carbs
- and/or your carbs are out of sync -- if your carbs are out of sync, man you cannot believe how bad your engine can sound at idle if your carb sync is off

Before shotgunning this any more and buying more parts you don't need, *check the carbs* !! It's free except your time.

QUESTIONS
- What main jet size are you running?
- pull your spark plugs -- what do they look like?

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 27 Apr 2013 01:34 by newOld_kz1000.

More
27 Apr 2013 10:34 #584248 by Matteson
125 mains from stock 115. 17.5 idle. ran poor with 20 idles. Valves in spec. Bench synced carbs and cleaned. Ran fine until recently. I suspect manifolds are leaking.

KZ 900-a4

More
27 Apr 2013 18:16 #584288 by Matteson
The plugs are all black too. I took the manifolds off and a couple have splits. So, instead of spinning my wheels more on this I will get new manifolds. That way I can eliminate that possibility. If that doesn't work then could the wiring be arcing on the lines from the dyna s to the coils causing it to stumble around? I thought if it was leaking air it would cause it run lean and then the plugs should be lighter right? This is frustrating.

KZ 900-a4

More
27 Apr 2013 20:20 #584303 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Vacuum leak?
I use a spray bottle with water.
Spray the suspect area and you will hear
the water get sucked in the leak.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
27 Apr 2013 21:23 #584320 by Matteson
Cool. I already took them off. They are cracked on the inside. And one for sure was kinda spittin a little through a crack. Or something. I hope it's the culprit. It ran fine a couple weeks ago and then this. Everything was fine till it just started running like crap the next day. I was hoping it was something cheaper. Oh well I got a new Dyna setup through the troubleshooting process. I'm still a little green at all this.

KZ 900-a4

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
27 Apr 2013 22:09 #584336 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Vacuum leak?
What are the symptoms -- does is run fine after, say, 2000rpm but at lower rpms it sounds like it's not running on all cylinders all the time?

Not sure yet what the "running poorly" description is; if you can describe exactly what it sounds like and where in the RPM band it is happening, that would really help.
So far so good though.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker