Replacing a fuel injection head on a 80 kz1000 G1

More
26 Apr 2013 02:59 #584059 by Acegboogie
I have a 1980 Kz1000 Z1 Classic (G1) that still has the factory style fuel injection cylinder head. The injection ports are blocked off and all fuel injection components have been removed. It currently runs VM28mm ss carbs with pods and 4-1 Vance/Hines exhaust. The bike runs strong but has recently started to smoke a little upon start-up. I purchased a 80 kz1000 ltd cylinder head and cylinders in great shape off ebay. My plans are to re-ring and rebuild the top end. It also has the green dyna coils and dyna s ignition. Do you know of any problems or tips I may need to know of before I begin this project? Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2013 03:13 #584062 by Patton

Acegboogie wrote: I have a 1980 Kz1000 Z1 Classic (G1) that still has the factory style fuel injection cylinder head. The injection ports are blocked off and all fuel injection components have been removed. It currently runs VM28mm ss carbs with pods and 4-1 Vance/Hines exhaust. The bike runs strong but has recently started to smoke a little upon start-up. I purchased a 80 kz1000 ltd cylinder head and cylinders in great shape off ebay. My plans are to re-ring and rebuild the top end. It also has the green dyna coils and dyna s ignition. Do you know of any problems or tips I may need to know of before I begin this project? Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide me.

The bike runs strong but has recently started to smoke a little upon start-up. -- The temporary exhaust smoking after start-up often results from worn valve stem seals, and usually not addressed until there's some other more serious reason for engine tear-down.

Would not undertake any top-end work without first performing a compression test and a leak-down test to determine the extent of any compression loss past the rings and pistons into the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.