83 KZ750 L3 Clutch will not engage after reassemb

• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
26 Apr 2013 00:26 #584048 by Grantl
Hello all,
its been quite some time since I last posted. My son Alex recently had to remove and replace the starter motor clutch on his KZ750 L3. At the same time he also rebuilt his clutch with new plates and springs. When he went to install the leftside cover with the clutch driver mechanism, it looked as though the cable was too long. No matter how he adjusted the clutch actuator he couldn't get it to contact the clutch pushrod. I helped him adjust the actuator so that he now has push on the clutch pushrod, but now, even with significant thrust on the pushrod, the clutch will not engage. The clutch pull feels very heavy which I attribute to the new clutch springs. I think he must have missed a spacer or has some component reversed. Someone mentioned in another clutch related post that sometimes new clutch's squeeze the oil out from between the plates and this can cause clutch hangup...
Do you guys have any insights for me to go look at? I am planning on pulling the clutch tomorrow or this weekend just to see if I can find out what is going on withe new clutch. Please let me know if you have encountered anything like this before. Thanks in advance... Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.