Mac 4-2-1 Do I need to heat up to install?

More
15 Apr 2013 12:12 #582461 by pnedac
I got around to installing my Mac exhaust and I am having a heck of a time getting that rear section to fully marry up with the front section. I need it to fully seat because otherwise the bracket won't reach. Do i need to heat up the rear section in order to get it to fully seat on the front or can you give me som other advise on how to proceed. I certainly don't want to do any damage to it, but I am also kinda stuck. I have already tried putting a little grease in there to no avaial.

Any help is appreciated.

Pnedac

78 KZ650 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2013 13:59 - 15 Apr 2013 14:01 #582470 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mac 4-2-1 Do I need to heat up to install?
Would consider taking both parts to an automotive muffler shop, and having the rear section expanded to fit snugly onto the front section.

It takes only a few seconds, and a cold six-pac may get quicker service. :cheer:

Forget the pita grinding, greasing, sanding, heating, etc. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 14:01 by Patton.

More
16 Apr 2013 13:29 #582665 by pnedac
Replied by pnedac on topic Mac 4-2-1 Do I need to heat up to install?
For lack of better judgement or just being plain lazy I heated it up with a propane torch and it was good to go. The bracket that it came with did not quite fit right so I just made my own, which also worked out just fine.

So just in case anyone else wants to try heating it up, it could work for you as it did for me. No harm done to the pipe and it is all squared up!

Cheers!

78 KZ650 B