kz 650 turbo

More
31 Oct 2005 22:57 #5821 by eggerj
kz 650 turbo was created by eggerj
79 kz 650sr, was never finished by a man who was going to drag race it, he died and i ended up with the project in pieces has, milled head, and big bore kit around 700 cc range does anyone know of the kit, rebuilt rotomaster turbo/bendix zenith carb. atp turbo manifold I have it running great right now, want to get it running even better, i was wondering how to set the wastegate, the bolt being all the way in more or less boost or all the way out more or less boost i also can't get my boost gauge to work, i think its the guage, i did take off the hose and put it to my finger and it has suction, is this normal? I also think it has the crank welded? Does higher octane gas need to be run, to prevent detonation? I also own 78 kz 650B and 78 kz650sr. i have some pictures e-mail me if your interested

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2005 00:51 #5836 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic kz 650 turbo
Screwing the bolt in will raise the boost by preloading the wastgate spring inside. If the bike is idling yes you will feel a vacuum on the boost gauge hose as the bike will run a vacuum (like any other bike) until the boost comes in. Same as putting your hand over a carb. The crank won't be welded as it is one piece as standard. Yes you will need to run race gas at high boost, how high will depend on the compression ratio of the engine amongst other things. If you hear a tinny rattle at high boost, use higher octane or turn the boost down.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
04 Nov 2005 10:19 #6474 by eggerj
Replied by eggerj on topic kz 650 turbo
I bought a new guage to measure boost, but i don't get a reading. Does anyone know whats the problem is?

More
04 Nov 2005 10:31 #6476 by hat0791
Replied by hat0791 on topic kz 650 turbo
Maybe the tube is on the wrong side of the turbo.

I believe boost gauges measure pressure, not vacum.
The hose should be on the carb side of the turbo, not the intake

More
04 Nov 2005 17:09 #6545 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz 650 turbo
This may be a silly question, but you do know that you are probably not going to see any boost until you are actually riding the bike, right?

It's unlikely you will see any boost when revving it up in neutral.

KD9JUR

More
14 Nov 2005 15:17 #8176 by eggerj
I'm still not getting any boost, i tried the original gauge and a new one, i did ride it and still their is no boost, their are two tubes that come off the atp manifold, the one on the leftside goes to the blowoff valve while the other should go to the pressure guage. It should be hooked up correctly, i did take off the exhaust pipe connecting to the turbo to see if the turbo was spooling up, and its spools up right away. I don't see why its not putting any pressure out, the blowoff valve is working

More
14 Nov 2005 20:40 #8222 by justice
Replied by justice on topic kz 650 turbo
Can you take some photos or draw up a diagram?

I have been working with turbo cars for years. The principles are universal.

More
15 Nov 2005 04:47 #8254 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic kz 650 turbo
Did you ride it over 6000rpm?

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2005 05:53 #8263 by dgfischer
Replied by dgfischer on topic kz 650 turbo
Post a few pics of the blow off valve and turbo set up. Not all blow off valves are the same. Some blow off valves adjust in for more pressure while some adjust out for more pressure.
The Blake turbo unit I bought for my KZ 900 came complete with every thing BUT the valve seat for the blow off valve. I had to get one made up for it to work at all. The blow off valve shouldnt have exhaust excaping from it at all times.
If you disconnect the line going to your boost gauge and ride it, it will probably whistle (letting you know that you have boost), but if you had boost, you would know.
Daniel

Heres a pic of the blow off valve on my 900. It has 2 adjustment bolts on it. 1 is on bottom and it has another on the diagphram on the back of it.

Post edited by: dgfischer, at: 2005/11/15 09:02
Attachments:

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2005 06:03 #8267 by dgfischer
Replied by dgfischer on topic kz 650 turbo
No, Heres the picture.

More
15 Nov 2005 14:23 #8353 by eggerj
This is the only picture i have right now, i will post some new ones tomorrow.

Post edited by: eggerj, at: 2005/11/15 17:35
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2005 17:18 #8550 by justice
Replied by justice on topic kz 650 turbo
Cant see your picture.

I presume it is the same with bikes, but on cars we refer to valve on the exhaust side of the turbo as a waste gate.

This bypasses exhaust gasses from the turbo to control boost.

A Blow Off valve refers to the valve on the throttle body side. This releases pressure that builds up when the throttle body closes and allows the turbo to keep spinning for longer (in turn reducing the time it takes for the turbo to spool back up when you change gears) it also makes your turbo last longer :)