rehoning

More
28 Jan 2013 23:45 #569682 by brianrae33
rehoning was created by brianrae33
replacing the rings on my #4 cylinder because i bent the second compression ring..question..barely 500 miles on the rest of the cylinders..rings seated real nice..so should i just deglaze the cylinder thats getting the new rings or would it be beneficial to deglaze all of them...thanx in advance for any input..

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Jan 2013 23:53 #569684 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic rehoning
Wouldnt hurt to knock glaze off them,dont get crazy with it though B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
29 Jan 2013 00:01 #569686 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic rehoning
so even though the rings are seated pretty much..i can still just knock off the shiny part???

1982 kz1000ltd

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Jan 2013 00:25 #569688 by wireman
Yep youre just knocking off the glaze is all.
When you finish honing the cylinder get 2-3 cans of carb or brake clean and a couple rolls of white toilet paper.
Start spraying down the bores then keep cleaning them till you dont see any black crud coming off on to the toilet paper,it may take a while but keep doing it till the bore is clean then do the next one.
As for whether to oil the bores/pisons or install them dry thats a totally differant discusion,I install pistons/rings dry myself. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
29 Jan 2013 00:40 #569693 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rehoning
I would put the new rings on and run it, 500 miles is nothing unless it's racing miles.

KD9JUR

More
29 Jan 2013 07:33 #569731 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic rehoning
Well hell, you have to pull the cylinder anyways right... Might as well deglaze all 4 and be done with it...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
29 Jan 2013 18:57 #569808 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rehoning
Here's a novel idea, do some research on the subject. What the honing actually does, how it's done, and the results of the process. If after that you decide to hone all four cylinders, I'll be amazed.

KD9JUR

More
29 Jan 2013 19:15 #569811 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic rehoning
since you have the cylinder block off anyway hit all 4 holes with a ball hone . doing that won't hurt anything. if it were mine that is what I would do.......... :dry:

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2013 19:16 #569812 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic rehoning
do research the break in period so the assembly lube has time to evaporate.

More
29 Jan 2013 20:00 #569828 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic rehoning

brianrae33 wrote: replacing the rings on my #4 cylinder because i bent the second compression ring..question..barely 500 miles on the rest of the cylinders..rings seated real nice..so should i just deglaze the cylinder thats getting the new rings or would it be beneficial to deglaze all of them...thanx in advance for any input..

I would not hone the cylinders that are getting used rings put back in. I did exactly that years ago, turned a good, clean running Z1R into an oil burner. I was told after the fact that new rings have a rough finish on the face of the ring that acts against the rough finish of the honed cylinder wall. in a perfect world the rings and cylinder wear together to create a smooth good sealing surface on both the rings and cylinder wall. A worn smooth surface on the ring face coupled to a honed cylinder finish = a very long time before the cylinder wears smooth and stops buning oil.
If your rings have seated properly why would you take a chance on messing that up?

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Jan 2013 23:06 #569845 by wireman

wireman wrote: Wouldnt hurt to knock glaze off them,dont get crazy with it though B)

Did anybody notice the part about knocking the glaze off and not getting crazy?
but hey by all means put the damn cylinder back on the way it sits,dont worry about cleaning the trash out of the bores because everybody knows theres no little pieces of trash that get embedded in the cylinder walls from the rings as they seat themselves when they get installed.
Hell I wouldnt even waste money changing the oil and filter,cuz everybody knows all you need to is add some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzdp and everything will be fine! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The following user(s) said Thank You: turboking

More
30 Jan 2013 00:45 #569885 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic rehoning
Interesting research... I took your advice and came across this... See bold...
Pretty much what the rest of us replied...

The term "honing" includes more than one process, and each process has a different objective.
After cylinder boring, honing is used to smooth the cylinder walls and remove the peaks left by the boring process.

When re-ringing, a hone is used to put small scratches in the bore, to achieve rapid ring wear to seat the rings.

Rings will seat without honing (a used cylinder), it may just take longer. Anyone that tells you that rings will never seat unless you hone, is saying that ring wear will never happen. Cast iron rubbing on cast iron and no wear will happen? Neat trick.

If the cylinder still has all the cross hatching visible, and all measurements are within limits, then why use a hone? The purpose of honing is to put the cross hatching there, right? And it's already there.

I'm still not sure what people refer to when they speak of a glaze breaking hone, as far as I can determine, a glaze is just a cylinder wall that has worn smooth, and in that case you would want to hone the cylinder with a standard cylinder hone.

To answer the original question, you can get a brush/ball/ whatever term the parts store uses, hone from AutoZone or any other parts store, and do a light hone to seat the rings faster. You are basically turning the cylinder into a file to wear the rings rapidly, to get maximum seal sooner.

Just my usual questioning of "Conventional Wisdom" :D

[Edited on 25-3-2005 by steell]

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomolu5