While smoke/oil out of exhaust

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Jan 2013 19:36 #568066 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic While smoke/oil out of exhaust
What kind of carbs are they,smooth bores? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 19:56 #568070 by BIGKEVIN
Replied by BIGKEVIN on topic While smoke/oil out of exhaust
I'm sorry. Yes, they are smooth bores.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2013 21:44 #568082 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic While smoke/oil out of exhaust
so these "smooth bores", when did they begin to give you trouble?

More
18 Jan 2013 22:23 #568090 by BIGKEVIN
It all started when I had to replace the jet block because the main jet would not stay in it due to the threads being stripped. When I replaced the jet block, the throttle valve would not go back down to the closed positon, like the other three. It felt like it was binding on something. I did not have this problem until the jet block was replaced.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
18 Jan 2013 23:42 - 18 Jan 2013 23:46 #568120 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic While smoke/oil out of exhaust
Screw 13 goes into bottom of the jet block to orient position of the jet block inside the carb.

If tightened too much, the jet block will be pulled slightly out of perfect center alignment, whereby the throttle slide will bind as the throttle slide attempts to move up and down over the jet block.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 23:46 by Patton.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jan 2013 01:00 #568136 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic While smoke/oil out of exhaust

BIGKEVIN wrote: I had the #3 carb completely apart with no jet block in it and the throttle valve still does not go all the way down like the other 3 do when the throttle is closed. I goes down most of the way and then it stops, like it is binding on something. It is a new throttle valve and the old one does the same thing since I replaced the jet block.

Big Kevin said he has tried With Out the Jet Block installed, both the New and Old slide bind.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
20 Jan 2013 22:05 #568382 by BIGKEVIN
Motor Head, I did what you suggested wiht the magic marker and 600 grit wet/dry sand paper and it worked. I will hopefully get the carbs put back together and back on the bike tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jan 2013 00:17 #568424 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic While smoke/oil out of exhaust
Cool, get it running and have some fun! ;)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2013 00:23 #568429 by donthaveakawman

Patton wrote: Screw 13 goes into bottom of the jet block to orient position of the jet block inside the carb.

If tightened too much, the jet block will be pulled slightly out of perfect center alignment, whereby the throttle slide will bind as the throttle slide attempts to move up and down over the jet block.

so that's what those look like, I had no idea, is there a way to syncronise them?

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2013 00:23 #568430 by donthaveakawman

Patton wrote: Screw 13 goes into bottom of the jet block to orient position of the jet block inside the carb.

so that's what those look like, I had no idea, is there a way to synchronize them?

More
21 Jan 2013 21:52 #568561 by BIGKEVIN
Well I got the carbs put back together today and installed them on thebike. Turned the gas on and there is gas leaking I believe from the #3 carb. I will have to take them back off to check the float and do the clear tube test to check the fuel level.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R