How easy is it to bugger a valve?

More
27 Dec 2012 23:37 #564915 by ebouwman
How easy is it to bugger a valve? was created by ebouwman
So I had my cams out to start doing valve clearances... The crank must have turned while I had the cams out because when I put them back in and started rotating the engine to recheck clearances I heard the unmistakable clunk of valve on piston action.

So my question is... how likely is it that I've bent a valve?

I don't really want to pull the head just to inspect the valves, so I'm curious if anyone has any experience with bending valves. I don't have the cams back in so i haven't done any sort of compression test as of yet, just looking for advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Dec 2012 23:46 #564919 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
As long as you stopped and reversed course when you heard it hit you could be alright if you were rotating it manually.
If both cams are out you could blow some compressed air down each splug plug hole and listen for it coming out intake or exhaust.
If you dinged it really good you might notice difference in bucket height in the bore B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Dec 2012 23:46 #564920 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
You can check out with compressed air. Piston at top, and put air in at the spark plug hole. See if it leaks out at the IN or EX valves.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Dec 2012 23:47 #564922 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
You can check out with compressed air. Piston at top, and put air in at the spark plug hole. See if it leaks out at the IN or EX valves.

EDIT: Wiremans quicker.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
27 Dec 2012 23:49 - 27 Dec 2012 23:52 #564925 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
It is really easy to bend a valve...turning over by hand can bend a valve, if the timing was altered. Now is the time to pull the head and check your valves. Attempt to set your valve clearances...if you have one or more valves that require much larger shims than others require, then it is possible that those valve(s) are bent (see wireman' post for an explanation of why a much larger shim might be required).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 27 Dec 2012 23:52 by Mcdroid. Reason: clarity

More
28 Dec 2012 02:10 #564957 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
Do a leakdown test before you waste time pulling the head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ Rat

More
28 Dec 2012 02:11 #564958 by steell
Replied by steell on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
If you heard a clunk then you bent valves. It takes very little to bend them.

KD9JUR

More
28 Dec 2012 02:32 #564962 by ebouwman
Replied by ebouwman on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
Ok, thanks for the tip on the bucket height, thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I was turning by hand fairly slowly, BUT I was using the kick start lever so the engine speed can't have been all that slow...

I don't have an air compressor at my place, but I'll see about that tool that goes into the spark plug to test compression and I'll check the clearance.

I was really hoping to not have to pull the head and swap out valves but I'll see...

More
28 Dec 2012 02:33 #564963 by ebouwman

steell wrote: If you heard a clunk then you bent valves. It takes very little to bend them.

Ya I think you're right.

More
28 Dec 2012 12:23 #564983 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
Easy, I did exactly the same thing 30 years ago. Ended up bending 3 valves- the one that hit the piston and the 2 that hit each other ( and you won't hear that). If your valve clearance is what it was when you started then you will be good, If its suddenly increased your not.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
30 Dec 2012 04:29 #565140 by ebouwman
I'd already swapped the shims on the suspect valve so I can't be sure how big of a change, but it looks like it gained about 0.03 mm or therabouts. I turned the engine by hand though and looks like I'm pissing air out of that valve on the compression stroke... so ya...

@Roadflyer the cams were good in relation to eachother, just not in relation to the crank.

Never thought about it but can the piston top get damaged ever?

More
30 Dec 2012 05:28 #565141 by mick z1a
Replied by mick z1a on topic How easy is it to bugger a valve?
ah, well, going by the thread title i was going to suggest Vaseline but i see i got the wrong idea :huh: