Cold Exhaust

• Surfdude_007
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Nov 2012 18:41 #557419 by Surfdude_007
Cold Exhaust was created by Surfdude_007
I will apologize beforehand as this is probably a newb question.
I have a 1980 KZ1000 LTD B4. It runs but I had a problem with a new battery. It would discharge and as soon as I hooked it up to the bike it wouldn't turn it over. I bought a gel battery at the local Advanced autoparts store. Hopefully It will be OK.
Now to the question. As the bike runs but it doesn't have the power and it has a kind of muffled sound when you give it the throttle. I took heat readings with an infrared temp gun. The left two exhausts were at 630 degrees and the right two were at about 117.0 degrees. Any ideas on this? Thanks!!

1980 KZ1000 B4 LTD
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2012 19:45 #557425 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Cold Exhaust
Your right 2 cylinders aren't firing and they're picking up the heat from the left cylinders. That's what it sounds like to me. Have you verified fuel and spark in those 2 cylinders? If you have evidence of both, then you'll have to do a compression test to see what they are running at.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
07 Nov 2012 19:51 #557427 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Cold Exhaust
Start with the simple stuff,
Are plug wires going to right cylinders ?
Do you have spark at 2 dead cylinders
How do plugs look ?
What kind of ignition system and is it setup right ?

Dave B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Surfdude_007
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Nov 2012 19:52 #557428 by Surfdude_007
Replied by Surfdude_007 on topic Cold Exhaust
I have checked the spark and it has a spark but I have not verified fuel yet. I will do that tomorrow. You think that both right exhausts would evenly have the same temp? Wow, never would have thunk it.
I'll keep everyone posted.
I will throw this into the mix though. I have routed the fuel lines from a T fitting from the carburetors(Mikuni RS)to the single feed pingel. I am thinking about getting the dual feed pingel. Thoughts?

1980 KZ1000 B4 LTD
1982 KZ1000 LTD

• Surfdude_007
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Nov 2012 20:01 #557429 by Surfdude_007
The ignition is setup correctly it is a dyna s with dyna coils. I get spark at all the cylinders. I will check the cylinders tomorrow as what the spark plugs look like. I think that they were wet but I will confirm tomorrow.

1980 KZ1000 B4 LTD
1982 KZ1000 LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
More
07 Nov 2012 21:38 #557437 by Street Fighter LTD
Is this bike new to you ? Did it run right at some point and whats been changed since then ? :blink:
Dont know if dual pingle will matter, but have you verified good fuel delivery to cylinders. Any chance of a plugged, clogged, fuel lines or filter ? :unsure:

Dave B)

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Surfdude_007
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Nov 2012 23:58 - 08 Nov 2012 00:01 #557454 by Surfdude_007
Yes, this bike is fairly new to me. I got it a couple of months ago. It seems to have run rough. I had to take apart all the carbs and clean them out with an ultra sonic cleaning machine. Put them back together, made sure all the jets were clear and the floats were adjusted and synched all the carbs. I would take it out for a ride and it seemed to be bogged down and unresponsive to throttle input. The last few weeks before I had the problem with the battery, I would take it out for a test ride and give it the business. Whoa! it pulled like no other. It felt like all cylinders were working and the sound and feel of the bike was doing what it was supposed to do.
Now, I'm back to it being sluggish, unresponsive and popping like the timing was off. But as two of the cylinders are not heating up, and the other two are at 560 degrees it would seem that I have other problems with it. :angry:
I will check for an air leak on the intake side of the carbs.

1980 KZ1000 B4 LTD
1982 KZ1000 LTD
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 00:01 by Surfdude_007. Reason: cuz

More
08 Nov 2012 00:16 #557457 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Cold Exhaust
IMHO the single Pingel should be fine. It has a pretty large diameter and should allow for plenty of fuel to the carbs as fast as you can drain them.
You said you switched out the T on the carbs? As in the central T that branches off to give fuel to the numbers 2 and 3 carb bowls? Where do you have your fuel line going to? And you also might want to check the wee hoses between the bowls to make sure there is no obstructions preventing fuel from getting into the bowls. From your description, it sounded like they were getting fuel before, for it to get up and go the way you described; but now for some reason it's not. Just a thought. But I'd still do the compression test on all the cylinders.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• Street Fighter LTD
More
08 Nov 2012 00:18 #557458 by Street Fighter LTD
Well, Ive said this before to others here.
Assume Nothing.. Check Everything !!
Time for a complete tuneup.. Check all electrical connections and voltage outputs.
Did you ever find out what killed your battery ???
Is fuel clean ?? Recheck everything you think is right.
Start with the easy stuff to eliminate them , then move on to the harder stuff..
Dont Assume anything is right with out verifying it.
You will find something and fix it
Dave

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Nov 2012 00:33 #557461 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cold Exhaust
Are the two cold pipes on the same coil? What cylinders are cold, 1-4 or 2-3? That would put them on the same coil. I would check the signal to ground, charge the coil. If that's Ok then swap the coils, see if it moves to the other pair.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Surfdude_007
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2012 08:53 #557493 by Surfdude_007
NO, the coils are not hooked up that way. Left side is one and four and the right side is two and three.

1980 KZ1000 B4 LTD
1982 KZ1000 LTD

More
08 Nov 2012 09:40 #557495 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Cold Exhaust
have you checked your timing advancer? That might part of the problem but not a reason for you to have two dead cyclinders.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now