1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Dr - Handlebar Replacement?

More
30 Oct 2012 12:23 #556377 by 650ed
I would think the stock bars from a KZ650 B or C model would fit. The stock bars on my KZ650-C1 are very comfortable and not too high, narrow, or pulled back (see pic). Ed

Attachment Bars.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2012 13:35 #556387 by upncummr
Martin, Del, Mumbles and Ed:

Thanks for the info.

I assume I'll probably have to drill any bar set that I buy to accommodate the wiring for the controls and turn signals. I imagine that's no big deal as long as the edges of the holes are properly smoothed so they don't abrade the wiring.

Gary

More
30 Oct 2012 15:27 #556404 by 650ed
The KZ650 bars (at least the early ones) are already drilled. Ed

More
30 Oct 2012 16:01 #556408 by upncummr

650ed wrote: The KZ650 bars (at least the early ones) are already drilled. Ed

Ed:

That's good to know.

When you say "the early ones" what years are you referring to?

The bars in the picture you posted look very comfortable.

I looked on Ebay this morning after i saw your post and I only saw one set of OEM bars for a KZ650 and the ad said they might be slightly bent.

I think I'd prefer something that was in very good shape as opposed to something that might be slightly bent.

Gary

More
30 Oct 2012 21:33 #556456 by 650ed
If you buy some that are "slightly" bent you may be able to straighten them, but you should pay only a tiny amount for them in case they are permanently damaged. Buy undamaged if possible. By early I meant that the ones on the 1977 KZ650 are drilled, and I suspect some, if not all, later ones may be drilled. If you find a set of handlebars on eBay just double check with the seller that they have holes in them for the wires. An easy way to tell is if they have the large center hole.

As you can see in the pic below, the bars that are drilled will have a very small hole and a larger oblong hole on each side of the bar. Each small hole is about 5 1/8” from the end of the bar. There will also be a larger oblong hole in the center of the bar on the bottom where the wires will exit. The handlebar clamps on the KZ650 are about 4” apart so the knurled sections of the bar line up nicely with them; check the distance on your bike to see if it’s more or less the same. The bar is 7/8” in diameter. I hope this helps. Ed

Attachment Handlebars.JPG not found

Attachment HandlebarsHoles.JPG not found

Attachment HandlebarsCenterHole.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2012 21:51 #556463 by upncummr
Ed:

That's extremely helpful.

Gary