1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Dr - Handlebar Replacement?

More
29 Oct 2012 14:34 #556228 by upncummr
My recently acquired 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive (F1) has what I believe are called "buckhorn" handlebars. These are the original handlebars.

They're in great shape and the only problem is that I don't find them particularly comfortable. The angle at which the grips come down and back is what hurts my wrists.

I'd like to find something a bit more comfortable while still maintaining the correct look for the bike and still retaining all the other original parts.

Can anyone recommend appropriate handlebars?

Did the KZ 750 come with other handlebars besides the buckhorn version?

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 14:53 #556229 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Dr - Handlebar Replacement?
different variants of the KZ had different handlebars. Z1 has a couple different styles that swap in relatively easy. The superbike bars seem to be popular, but you can look on their site and see the different styles, along with dimensions as to what kind of pullback, rise, etc that they have. I think most of the bars they have there except the clubmans would look at home on the LTD. I like the clubmans, but they're a bit aggresive and funky looking IMO for an LTD, and probably aren't very comfortable.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
29 Oct 2012 15:05 #556231 by upncummr
Del:

Thanks for the info.

I'll have to see if I can find the dimensions for the stock buckhorn bars and see how these others at Z1 compare.

I want to be able to retain the turn signals, gauges, controls, etc. so the bike is as original as possible.

Gary

More
29 Oct 2012 15:11 #556232 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Dr - Handlebar Replacement?
The bars on these are just bolted on top of the tree, so they shouldn't affect your gauges, and the controls will come off and slide onto the new bars. You might have to drill a hole in the bars where you want to have the locator pin in the controls, but you should be able to retain it all. I'm not sure how the turn signals are mounted on the LTD, they're mounted to the forks on my Spectre.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
29 Oct 2012 15:16 #556234 by upncummr
Del:

The turn signals are clamped onto the upright portion of the handlebars on the buckhorn bars. I'm not sure if any of the wiring runs inside of the buckhorn bars as I haven't thoroughly investigated that. But it seems to me that it must as I don't remember any wiring running from the turn signals and into the cables or wiring harness.

Thanks again for the info.

Gary

More
29 Oct 2012 15:27 #556236 by Del_Herring
Yea, you'll have to route the wires back through the new handlebars, it'll take a little work but shouldn't be terrible. Not sure what to do for the turn signals, might have to get creative. You can always check out the gallery to steal ideas from others if needed.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
29 Oct 2012 15:38 #556239 by upncummr

Del_Herring wrote: Yea, you'll have to route the wires back through the new handlebars, it'll take a little work but shouldn't be terrible. Not sure what to do for the turn signals, might have to get creative. You can always check out the gallery to steal ideas from others if needed.

Del:

I'm not sure what you mean about the turn signals and needing to get creative.

If the new bars have an appropriate rise to them and can be drilled for the turn signal wires, wouldn't it most likely be a simple matter of just transferring everything over to the new bars? Or am I missing something?

Gary

More
29 Oct 2012 16:21 #556247 by Del_Herring
Yea, if you get bars that rise the same kinda way. I was thinking in terms of flatter bars where they might end up hanging off at weird angles. I go for flatter bars myself. I'm fairly tall, so with bars that rise up and pull back, I end up awkwardly positioned if I lean forward at all.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
29 Oct 2012 16:43 #556249 by upncummr
Del:

Got'cha. Now I know what you were saying.

I'll be trying to retain the original location/position of all lighting, controls, etc. I just want to change the angle of the hand grips. Those buckhorn bars just don't work with my wrists.

They were moved/tilted back when I bought the bike and with the angle of the hand grips it was akin to riding with my elbows against my torso and my wrists splayed out at a 45 degree angle.

I thought moving the bars back up into a more upright position might help and although it's gotten my elbows away from my torso, it hasn't changed the 45 degree angle of my wrists.

So now I just need to order a couple of sets from Z1 Enterprises and see which works best.

Gary

More
29 Oct 2012 17:43 - 23 Jan 2013 12:21 #556254 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Dr - Handlebar Replacement?
In my opinion, the bars that I put on my 650-CSR are a pretty good match if you want to keep the stock look (BMW Med tall street) - they are a vast improvement over the stock bars. I have since installed Euro bars.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 12:21 by martin_csr.

More
29 Oct 2012 17:44 #556255 by Del_Herring
I forget the diameter of our bars. But if you know that, you can probably go to a local motorcycle shop and check out a couple pairs of bars and see what you like. I believe they're a fairly standard size, so there are probably some decent options.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
30 Oct 2012 10:55 #556372 by mumbles
The Daytona Touring bars worked and looked great on my old KZ 750f. The turn signals mounted to the bars with no clearance problems.
Here they are from Z1... www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...ring&item=EM23-12564

2001 KZ1000 Police
1998 Vulcan 800

Houston, Tx