what year and model is this bike please

More
14 Oct 2012 17:31 #553817 by gibbiker
what year and model is this bike please was created by gibbiker
hi I've got a z400 i think its a 79 but unsure and as I've already made the mistake of ordering rebuild kit for a 77 as i was the given the impression it first was i don't want to waste more money,i have no chassis number as my front end is a triumph end ,my bike has electric start and kick the engine number is K4E152530
IM GUESSING ITS A 79 G1 MODEL Z400 JUST NOT SURE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2012 18:05 - 23 Jan 2013 11:31 #553819 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic what year and model is this bike please
CycleChaos has frame & engine number info for a number of Kawasakis.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 11:31 by martin_csr.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
14 Oct 2012 18:46 - 14 Oct 2012 18:55 #553828 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic what year and model is this bike please
The engine number you posted would tend to indicate it is from a 1979 Z400 G1 as its engine numbers began with KE4E152289 and the 79 H1(LTD) engine numbers began with KE4E152831.

When you say it has a triumph front end, has the frame neck been replaced? As the frame number should be on the neck.

The numbers I posted came from this site www.kz400.com/ModelidentificationFrameset.html you might want to check it out as it has a bunch of great info on the kz400/440 bikes.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Last edit: 14 Oct 2012 18:55 by gd4now.

More
14 Oct 2012 19:25 #553842 by gibbiker
Replied by gibbiker on topic what year and model is this bike please
hi thanx for second opinion i had seen on that site but wanst sure and the problem was when it came to ordering things like pistons and gaskets i see a lot for the b model but no mention of g1 as i believe mine is ,the neck was replaced yes
i have began a rebuild due to low compression and I've opened the rocker cover to find a tappet and nut lying beside the cam of which they have damaged my cam,it seems a previous owner knew the tappet screw had dropped in and simply replaced the adjusting screwand nut,idiot
now also the cam is damaged due to loose tappet grinding on it

Attachment IMG_2071_2012-10-14.JPG not found

lying about and a bolt from the cam retaining clamps has snapped and is missing, good knows were that is ,the only thing i can do is split the engine now to look for it ,so I'm just ordering all my new parts now,well trying,but at least when done ill have a safe and rebuilt engine
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2012 19:28 #553844 by gibbiker
Replied by gibbiker on topic what year and model is this bike please
hi thanx for second opinion i had seen on that site but wanst sure and the problem was when it came to ordering things like pistons and gaskets i see a lot for the b model but no mention of g1 as i believe mine is ,the neck was replaced yes
i have began a rebuild due to low compression and I've opened the rocker cover to find a tappet and nut lying beside the cam of which they have damaged my cam,it seems a previous owner knew the tappet screw had dropped in and simply replaced the adjusting screwand nut,idiot
now also the cam is damaged due to loose tappet grinding on it
lying about and a bolt from the cam retaining clamps has snapped and is missing, good knows were that is ,the only thing i can do is split the engine now to look for it ,so I'm just ordering all my new parts now,well trying,but at least when done ill have a safe and rebuilt engine
Attachments: