transmission not moving freely on rebuild of KZ650

• daverclasper
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2012 09:33 #553430 by daverclasper
Hi. I am rebuilding a very low mileage KZ 650 engine. When both gear clusters are fitted, there is intermediate snagging when turning the clutch shaft in normal engine direction in nuetral and all gears (this disappears in opposite direction and also when engine is turned upside down ?). When the kickstart shaft and idle gear (which seems in very good condition) is removed there is no problem at all. I have refitted gear clusters and kick start in spare crankcases and same problem, so assume cases are ok, also bearings are fine.
Any advice much appriciated.

Cheers, dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2012 11:29 #553443 by OldSchoolZ
It sounds kick gear related from what you're saying. Double check the manual or a parts schematic to make sure your kick gear components are installed correctly :)

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
10 Oct 2012 13:33 #553456 by OnkelB

daverclasper wrote: ...there is intermediate snagging when turning the clutch shaft in normal engine direction in nuetral and all gears (this disappears in opposite direction and also when engine is turned upside down).

You are turning the clutch shaft in the right direction, right?

Looking at a running 650 engine from the right side (clutch side) the crank, secondary shaft and output shaft will rotate clockwise, the clutch shaft will rotate counter clockwise.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
10 Oct 2012 13:49 #553459 by OnkelB
Btw, when turning the clutch shaft, do you have the kick start return spring installed?

If not then make sure that the kick start ratchet is fully disengaged, the stop on the inner ratchet should be resting against the flat part of the stopper plate as in the pic below:

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

• daverclasper
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2012 13:35 #553789 by daverclasper
Replied by daverclasper on topic transmission not moving freely on rebuild of KZ650
Thanks guys. Think I may have sussed it out. There is a lot of wear on 1st gear pinion bush. I think this may be causing the interferance.
cheers Dave