Release Chain tension?

More
29 Sep 2012 17:09 #551560 by built408
Release Chain tension? was created by built408
Well it's time to replace my cam chain idler and I have a auto chain tensioner I need to know how to release the tension. The tensioner still works fine as the chain has plenty of tension so Im not replaceing it for a manual. The engine is a 78 a2a 1000. Thanks.

1978 KZ1000 A2A with MKII body you know you like it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Sep 2012 18:08 #551569 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Release Chain tension?
Unbolt it from back of motor B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
29 Sep 2012 18:15 #551570 by built408
Replied by built408 on topic Release Chain tension?
So just unbolt it? Do I just re bolt it on when Im done

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Sep 2012 18:24 #551571 by wireman
Its only slightly more complicated than that,do you have a manual? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
29 Sep 2012 19:41 #551582 by built408
Replied by built408 on topic Release Chain tension?
Ya I do but I wanted some advice. Isn't that what this site is for or just a bunch of ego strokers? I always get lame vage responces.

More
29 Sep 2012 21:07 #551592 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Release Chain tension?
I dunno if your gonna be able to handle changing the idler gear if you cant even figure out the tensioner. Just read your manual since you have one. As far as advice goes.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Sep 2012 21:20 #551594 by wireman
Wow,ego strokers? :woohoo:
Ok remove short bolt and nut from side of tensioner then push plunger back in all the way and screw longer bolt in to temporarily hold the plunger .
Install tensioner with new gasket back onto motor then remove long bolt from side of tensioner to let plunger pop back against guide inside of motor.
reinstall short bolt and nut.
Then using the bigger nut on the advance mechanism under points cover turn the motor over repeatedly(I reccomend pulling spark plugs out myself)to make sure nothing is binding before trying to crank motor with starter.
Id explain how you can convert the auto tensioner to a manual set up using your stock pieces and $5.00 worth of parts from ace hardware ,but between stroking my ego / trying to cure world hunger fixing stuff all I have time for is vague answers to questions that would require a person to read a manual for 5 minutes to answer for themselves! :woohoo:

The following user(s) said Thank You: built408

More
29 Sep 2012 21:32 #551595 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Release Chain tension?
So, you insult the people you want help from. Good luck with this.

built408 wrote: Ya I do but I wanted some advice. Isn't that what this site is for or just a bunch of ego strokers? I always get lame vage responces.

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

More
29 Sep 2012 23:34 #551617 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Release Chain tension?
AND put chapstick on said gasket :woohoo:

wireman wrote: Wow,ego strokers? :woohoo:
Ok remove short bolt and nut from side of tensioner then push plunger back in all the way and screw longer bolt in to temporarily hold the plunger .
Install tensioner with new gasket back onto motor then remove long bolt from side of tensioner to let plunger pop back against guide inside of motor.
Then using the bigger nut on the advance mechanism under points cover turn the motor over repeatedly(I reccomend pulling spark plugs out myself)to make sure nothing is binding before trying to crank motor with starter.
Id explain how you can convert the auto tensioner to a manual set up using your stock pieces and $5.00 worth of parts from ace hardware ,but between stroking my ego / trying to cure world hunger fixing stuff all I have time for is vague answers to questions that would require a person to read a manual for 5 minutes to answer for themselves! :woohoo:

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
30 Sep 2012 01:26 #551630 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Release Chain tension?

built408 wrote: Ya I do but I wanted some advice. Isn't that what this site is for or just a bunch of ego strokers? I always get lame vage responces.

I took a look at your previous postings and frankly it looked to me as if you always received very good, specific responses. Did I miss something? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
More
30 Sep 2012 01:49 #551634 by wireman

kzz1king wrote: AND put chapstick on said gasket :woohoo:

wireman wrote: Wow,ego strokers? :woohoo:

Thats only on carb gaskets,id spray copper coat on both sides of the tensioner gasket. B)

The following user(s) said Thank You: built408

More
01 Oct 2012 00:52 #551793 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic Release Chain tension?

...wow!

...just, wow! :blink:

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C