Clutch won't engage after changing handlebars

More
29 Sep 2012 12:39 #551535 by Lddemi
I changed out the ape hangers that came on my bike for some clubmans, but I seem to have somehow tightened up the clutch cable to the point where it won't release enough to engage the clutch. I've almost completely loosened the adjustments on the handlebars and at the end of the clutch cable and still no love. Clutch engaged pretty late before I made the changes that caused this issue.

Where can I go from here? Many people have suggested removing a sprocket cover, but I have no idea what that would be on my bike. I feel like I have a different clutch setup than anyone else.

Also, does my bike have a clutch pushrod adjustment feature? I've heard mention of using that to adjust the clutch.

1984 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD Shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2012 13:24 #551542 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Clutch won't engage after changing handlebars
Did you have to buy a longer than stock clutch cable for the ape hangers?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Sep 2012 13:33 #551543 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Clutch won't engage after changing handlebars
there are manuals for your bike in our site...i dont know how to access the manuals section...others may.....do you have a manual......you have an easy problem to fix and i think you just need to adjust the engine clutch pushrod then work your way up the cable following the manuals for clutch adjustment

not a big deal and it may take a re-do again to get it just right but once you know the procedure it is a snap

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
29 Sep 2012 14:43 #551548 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Clutch won't engage after changing handlebars
I don't know the specifics of your bike but going from a tall handlebar to a short one shouldn't cause that issue. I'm sure you've got plenty of extra cable hanging out somewhere now.
First, make sure there are no sharp bends in the cable or that it's going to get caught on or bind up on any part of the bike while you are riding it.
On the clutch cable there is usually an adjustment in the middle of the cable also but that may not be the case since your engine has that lever setup shown in the picture.
When you say loosened up the the adjuster at the handlebar, did you turn the adjuster wheel so it moved further away from the lever? That makes the cable tighter. To loosen it, turn that wheel all the way until it is tight against the lever perch. If you have an adjustment midway on the cable itself, make sure that the pieces are threaded in as close to each other as possible, that loosens the cable also.
Once you get enough slack to let the clutch fully disengage, then you use those adjustments to set where in the handlebar lever movement you want the clutch to engage/disengage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lddemi

More
29 Sep 2012 15:24 #551552 by steell
Your bike does not have a clutch pushrod, your clutch is basically the same as a 83-85 GPz750.

Look in the middle of the cable for a screw adjustment, it may be pulled out and stuck on the edge.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lddemi

More
01 Oct 2012 10:57 #551815 by Lddemi

DiamondSkyBlue1000 wrote: When you say loosened up the the adjuster at the handlebar, did you turn the adjuster wheel so it moved further away from the lever? That makes the cable tighter. To loosen it, turn that wheel all the way until it is tight against the lever perch. If you have an adjustment midway on the cable itself, make sure that the pieces are threaded in as close to each other as possible, that loosens the cable also.

That was exactly what I needed. Loosened her up and everything works nicely.

Does anybody know if there's a way to loosen the throttle cable on my bike from the carburetors? It's fully loosened on the handlebars but my bike still idles a little bit high.

More
01 Oct 2012 12:24 #551832 by Patton
At correct idle rpm, there should be some minimal slack in the throttle cables.

On many models, throttle slack adjustments may also be done at the ends where they attach to the carbs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Oct 2012 13:02 #551836 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Clutch won't engage after changing handlebars
Idle isn't controlled by the throttle cables, at least not on any I've seen. There's an idle adjustment on the carbs, that basically adjusts how open the carbs are at idle. Like Patton says, there should be a small amount of slack in the throttle cables at idle.

So, if you don't have any slack, give it some using the other adjuster on the cable on the carb side, if you have slack, and still idle high, use the idle adjustment. Not sure where it's located on your bikes, but typically they're in the middle of the carbs, and adjustable by hand, or with a small screwdriver.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
01 Oct 2012 16:39 #551852 by Lddemi
Thanks. I was using the idle adjustment to try to get the RPMs down to around 1k at idle, but the bike sounded really terrible when I brought it that low. I'll take off the tank tonight and try to get some slack on the cable.

More
01 Oct 2012 20:28 #551872 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Clutch won't engage after changing handlebars
Since you just changed the handlebars, it's entirely possible your cable is keeping the throttle from resting completely against the idle speed adjuster. Verify you have enough slack in the cable at the carburetor end so that you can move the exposed cable around with ease. Now start the bike and set your idle speed with the little knob at sticks out from between the carbs. Once that's done THEN remove the slack in the cable. Only remove enough so there isn't noticeable play at the throttle on the handlebars. This is definitely not an exact science and will take some fidgiting to get it how you want it. As far as the crappy idle at 1k, well, that's a horse of a different color!

Could be a vacuum leak, dirty carb internals, poor synchronization, needing a tune up, and on and on...

But, let's get that throttle cable sorted out. That's a big safety concern.

More
03 Oct 2012 16:33 - 03 Oct 2012 16:36 #552245 by Lddemi
Appreciate the help. I found that the gas tank was pulling the throttle cable a little tight. This had to have been why the engine was running rough when I tried to get it down to 1k RPMs. Now it purrs beautifully at a 1k idle.

Edit:

Here's how the bike looks now for the curious:

Just need to do something about that seat........

Last edit: 03 Oct 2012 16:36 by Lddemi. Reason: pic