Carb issues

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
22 Sep 2012 16:00 #550280 by baborz72
Carb issues was created by baborz72
I have been playing with the carbs on my 76 KZ900Z1, they are the stock 26mm. if I back the pilot screw out properly, it is racing at about 2000. it has a mid-range lean spot. What exatly does the service float adjustment(clear tube method) consist of??? I miss only having to deal with one pain in the ass carb, now I have 4!..... :angry: Thanks in advance....

It'll go...or...It'll blow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
22 Sep 2012 22:31 #550325 by baborz72
Replied by baborz72 on topic Carb issues
Ok, I have it running a whole lot better. some idiot had the slides adjusted all stupid. I set the slides and reset the idle and the float level was perfect. I had her purring like a kitten and was pretty happy with my results. Took her for a ride to find I still have a part throttle lean out(BAD). I originally had a lean condition and re-jetted the main jets. It runs excellent at idle and w.o.t., just has a part throttle issue. I have the 5dl31 needles, open carbs right now and stock exhaust for now. I have pod filters and a sidewinder coming soon. My question now is: What should I set the needles at and should this thing really be this lean with just open carbs and stock exhaust???? :unsure:

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
23 Sep 2012 16:02 #550426 by baborz72
I set them as rich as they would go and rode it today. Much better. Idles like a kitten all the time, screams like hell @ w.o.t. and cruises just peachy. Haven't checked a plug since my return from my 30 mile spin around the block yet, but it feels good and doesn't seem too rich. Maybe the 4 pain in the ass carbs are finally tuned..... :side:

More
23 Sep 2012 18:02 #550446 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Carb issues
Normally I'd try and show up and say something helpful, but I guess you figured it out already. So... good job! Enjoy the ride sir.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre
The following user(s) said Thank You: baborz72

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
23 Sep 2012 21:46 #550487 by baborz72
I just don't know why she is needing so much fuel. I may have it just a bit on the fat side now, but no sidewinder yet, so not too concerned. Now I know the trick to those needles too so no big deal. I need to check my valve lash and timing yet as well. She ran good today though and fairly chilly so if it still had a lean condition it definitely would have reared its' ugly face. You can catch first at 35, nail it while dumping the clutch and she'll hang the front wheel for a bit, shift at around 55, hit second and it pulls damn near as hard as first and you're at about 85-90 right now! Man this thing is cool! Piss on the Harleys......

More
24 Sep 2012 15:30 #550624 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Carb issues
I'm happy for you. I'm battling carb issues right now, I can't wait to get everything polished up! Hard part is finding time to mess with it.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
07 Oct 2012 11:28 #552903 by baborz72
I hear ya there.... Now I have found that I have 2 lean and 2 fat..... :blink: ....1&2 are fat as a pig and 3&4 are leaning out. Seems to be more at part throttle. Idles good and fine on top, so it doesn't seem to be a delivery issue..... Working with four of these bastards sucks! Coming along nicely though....

Attachments: