clutch replacement

More
16 Sep 2012 11:13 #549033 by stunter956
clutch replacement was created by stunter956
Alright, my clutch has been slipping on my kz to the point where I got whooped by a stock neon, before I go on replacing it, is there a certain brand or performance clutch that works on a stock kz? I'm thinking of ordering a barnett kit, anyone familiar with one?

1976 kz900 "mean green"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2012 11:31 - 16 Sep 2012 12:34 #549035 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic clutch replacement

stunter956 wrote: Alright, my clutch has been slipping on my kz to the point where I got whooped by a stock neon, before I go on replacing it, is there a certain brand or performance clutch that works on a stock kz? I'm thinking of ordering a barnett kit, anyone familiar with one?

Recalling an earlier thread with history of clutch issues, and one post about where reversing the push-rod improved clutch performance -- which might indicate a bent push-rod.

Has the routine clutch push-rod adjustment been performed? Specified gap setting?

And the push-rod in good condition, clean, and not sticking in its channel?

An otherwise perfect clutch will slip when the push rod isn't properly adjusted to provide the specified gap between the actuator assembly and the push-rod.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 12:34 by Patton.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Sep 2012 12:13 #549053 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic clutch replacement
Stock kawasaki clutches are the best depending on who you ask.
Pull it apart and make sure your steel discs are all flat on a piece of glass,if you have access to a glass beading cabinet go ahead and blast the steel plates.
Measure your springs if theyre good reuse them,if not get stock replacement springs.
Install a new set of factory fiber discs after soaking them in good oil for a few hrs. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Sep 2012 12:16 #549055 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic clutch replacement
Oh by the way it dont matter if that neon was stock or not,thats just totally wrong! :sick: :woohoo:
Thats the problem with having a bike with a 48" long swingarm with a big ass tire and an usd frontend packing a stock motor and a bad clutch ,sometimes you have to be able to back it up! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
16 Sep 2012 12:24 #549057 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic clutch replacement

wireman wrote: Oh by the way it dont matter if that neon was stock or not,thats just totally wrong! :sick: :woohoo:
Thats the problem with having a bike with a 48" long swingarm with a big ass tire and an usd frontend packing a stock motor and a bad clutch ,sometimes you have to be able to back it up! :woohoo:

Man, im crying from laughing so hard...... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
16 Sep 2012 12:42 - 16 Sep 2012 12:44 #549063 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic clutch replacement
Barnett or APE kits, nothing wrong with them, superior grip but tiring on the hands for daily street use...

Z1 has everything you need for OEM steel & friction plates and springs..
Do yourself a favor and just replace all for ~ $150 and be done with it...

Price have changed since I ordered for my '76 KZ900 but here's the numbers...

In case you need...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 12:44 by Old Man Rock.

More
16 Sep 2012 13:10 - 16 Sep 2012 13:11 #549068 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic clutch replacement
did it start slipping after you changed your engine oil ? using oils that are"nt made for use with wet clutches can make your clutch slip :ohmy:

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 13:11 by pete greek1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Del_Herring

More
17 Sep 2012 11:23 #549217 by stunter956
Replied by stunter956 on topic clutch replacement
Lol its not that I wanted to stretch the bike, its because I had to in order to put that wide zx7 swingarm without opening the frame or anything like that, about the push rod it is traight and I remember greasing it the first time around, plus I have adjsted all three adjusters from the handlebar, the cable and the actuator, and still slips, I'm guessing this bike still has stock plates too, since I don't know its history from its previous owner. Oh and I use valvoline 10w-40 oil on it

1976 kz900 "mean green"

More
17 Sep 2012 11:35 #549220 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic clutch replacement
Is it some kind of valvoline that's rated for bike's? Don't run regular car oil in a motorcycle, it doesn't work, they have additives which jack with the wet clutches motorcycles use. See any of various oil threads around the site.

If it isn't rated for motorcycles, drain it, and inspect your clutch, may just need to put the proper oil in, may need to replace some clutch plates.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
17 Sep 2012 11:41 #549221 by Del_Herring
Valvoline has a specific motorcycle oil, but it only comes in 20-50 from what I see on their website. Their regular 10-40 might be rated for bikes, but since they seem to have a seperate line specifically for bikes, I'm guessing it isn't. Check for JASO MA rating on oil, if it isn't there, don't put it in your bike.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
17 Sep 2012 12:46 #549232 by stunter956
Replied by stunter956 on topic clutch replacement
Thanx for the info, actually we have ran regular oil on all our bikes and run just fine, oil will be oil, usually oil for motorcycles is really expensive and turns out being the same u wuld get in an autoparts store. Either way I will probably try another type and still replace the pads

1976 kz900 "mean green"

More
17 Sep 2012 12:57 #549234 by Del_Herring
Well, newer oils use a lot of additives to reduce friction in the engine for improved mileage (what with all this eco-friendly trend stuff). That's what causes the problems. You don't have to buy oil that says it's for motorcycles on the bottle (because you're right, they'll just jack up the price), but if it has that JASO MA rating on it, it won't have all those friction modifiers added to it, and is better to run in bikes. There are definitely differences in oil. Check some of the threads around here, I want to say Rotella T seems to be this forums brand of choice, but I can't ever keep them all straight, whatever exact one it is, it's available at wal-mart by the gallon, and is cheap because it doesn't say motorcycle on the front.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre