Lost my exhaust, can a muffler shop help me?

More
14 Sep 2012 15:39 #548652 by ottothecow
The right side slip on muffler fell off my kz400 on the highway this morning.

Bike still runs without it although he seems to have lost some power at WOT and (obviously) it sounds different. These were some generic slipons that a previous owner had installed and while they sounded really nice, they were VERY open and I thought they were too loud for the tightly packed urban residential area I lived in so I was thinking about buying a set of stock sportster mufflers to quiet them down a pinch.

My problem is that the sportster mufflers are shorter than the slipons and my bike seem to have the stock headers chopped off right after the crossover tube. There wasn't even really enough room to firmly attach the old slip on which is probably why it fell off.

If I take my bike to some random muffler shop, will they be able to weld on a piece of pipe to give me a bit more extension from the crossover tube so I can securely attach the end of the sportster muffler (and slide it back far enough to meet the mounting bolt point)?

Any suggestion on a shop in the Chicago area that might do this?

1979 KZ400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2012 15:53 #548654 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Lost my exhaust, can a muffler shop help me?
any muffler shop should be able to weld on a pipe. Don't ride the bike without the muffler, it will be running way too lean.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Sep 2012 16:09 #548661 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Lost my exhaust, can a muffler shop help me?
Yea, I've frequently had muffler shops deal with hacked off piping like that, They'll probably do any kind of bracket adapter you need as well. I think the last thing I had was an old Ford where the PO had hacked off the pipes behind the cat so close there wasn't anything to connect to. Paid a guy $50 cash to weld on a chunk of pipe, weld on a muffler, and add a couple brackets. Shouldn't be a big deal.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
14 Sep 2012 17:10 #548671 by ottothecow
Replied by ottothecow on topic Lost my exhaust, can a muffler shop help me?

bountyhunter wrote: any muffler shop should be able to weld on a pipe. Don't ride the bike without the muffler, it will be running way too lean.

Well, I've got to ride it home (and to the muffler shop apparently).

Anything I can do to lessen this? The muffler that was on there was super open and with the air mix screws out about 2 turns (maybe 2.5-3) I was still getting occasional popping on deceleration which makes me think it was rich.

1979 KZ400

More
14 Sep 2012 17:16 #548673 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Lost my exhaust, can a muffler shop help me?
well, if it was running rich before, you may have fixed the problem. Guess that really comes down to what kind of jetting the previous owner did when he started messing with the exhaust. Definitely be careful though, running lean can cause overheating and detonation issues. Personally, if it was within a couple miles, I probably wouldn't worry about riding it to the shop, but I certainly wouldn't go riding all over town under lean conditions.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
14 Sep 2012 21:43 - 14 Sep 2012 21:44 #548733 by bountyhunter

ottothecow wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: any muffler shop should be able to weld on a pipe. Don't ride the bike without the muffler, it will be running way too lean.

Well, I've got to ride it home (and to the muffler shop apparently).

Anything I can do to lessen this? The muffler that was on there was super open and with the air mix screws out about 2 turns (maybe 2.5-3) I was still getting occasional popping on deceleration which makes me think it was rich.

Popping on decel is ALWAYS A LEAN CONDITION, although it seems like it should be the other way around. Probably OK for a short trip.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Sep 2012 21:44 by bountyhunter.

More
15 Sep 2012 20:48 #548924 by ottothecow
Can you explain why this is? It seems like it would be the other way (too much fuel to combust so it ends up igniting again in the exhaust where it finds more air) and I have had people tell me both.

Any idea what a shop would charge to extend my headers? If its too much, wouldn't it just make more sense to buy the MAC exhaust which should just bolt on rather than buying some mufflers and paying someone to extend the headers?

1979 KZ400

More
15 Sep 2012 21:09 #548932 by bountyhunter

ottothecow wrote: Can you explain why this is? It seems like it would be the other way (too much fuel to combust so it ends up igniting again in the exhaust where it finds more air) and I have had people tell me both.

Any idea what a shop would charge to extend my headers? If its too much, wouldn't it just make more sense to buy the MAC exhaust which should just bolt on rather than buying some mufflers and paying someone to extend the headers?

I got a set of old but servicable MAC pipes on ebay for about $100. If you are keeping the bike to ride it would likely be worth the investment in a set of pipes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Sep 2012 21:14 #548934 by bountyhunter

ottothecow wrote: Can you explain why this is? It seems like it would be the other way (too much fuel to combust so it ends up igniting again in the exhaust where it finds more air) and I have had people tell me both.

www.ehow.com/facts_7980825_carburetor-popping.html

Fuel To Air Mixture Is Too Lean

Too much air and not enough fuel causes backfires to occur in the intake manifold. The exploding mixture then vents through the carburetor. Improper carburetor adjustments or vacuum leaks can cause this condition.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Sep 2012 22:39 #549770 by ottothecow
Well, I won some sportster mufflers on ebay and they should come tomorrow or friday.

We'll see how hard it is to get all these parts lined up.

1979 KZ400

More
20 Sep 2012 18:46 #549936 by ottothecow
Additional question:

Is there any reason I can't just ask the muffler shop to make new headers?

Is there something special about the stock headers that I should keep? Otherwise it doesn't seem like it should cost much more to put 2-3 bends in a longer piece of pipe (but maybe it will cost a lot).

1979 KZ400