Fuse box question

More
08 Sep 2012 00:17 - 08 Sep 2012 00:21 #547412 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Fuse box question
Looking at the schematic, The battery voltage goes to the fuse box on the white/red wire, through a fuse, a connector and then on to the ignition switch via the white wire.
When the key is in the ON position, the voltage travels back to the fuse box on the white/black wire, which splits and feeds the remaining fuses. Two of those fuses supply circuits in the bike via the brown wire and the blue wire. The last two fuses in the box feed the orange and the red/white wire but these wires dead end in the connector. This means that you have two extra circuits available if you want to add lights or grip warmers, or whatever.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2012 00:21 by DiamondSkyBlue1000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BRABBIT04161991

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BRABBIT04161991
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Sep 2012 05:37 #547440 by BRABBIT04161991
Replied by BRABBIT04161991 on topic Fuse box question
Wooow why couldn't anyone have said that first lol that makes perfect sense. So basically I just tape off those ends until i'm ready to add my extras on like LED's and such ok perfect thank you very much.

More
08 Sep 2012 11:18 #547464 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Fuse box question
That is exactly right. There is no need to connect anything to them at this time. They are simply available as extra circuits for later use.

• BRABBIT04161991
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2012 21:51 #547705 by BRABBIT04161991
Ok so all wires are taped off now. But I think I have a bad starting solenoid because I go to hit the starter button and nothing. I hear a click when I turn the ignition on but that's something completely different. Does anyone know where the ground to the starter is and if its connected to the solenoid??

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Sep 2012 00:43 #547744 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Fuse box question
The ground for the starter motor is the engine block, then the negative battery cable which goes to the engine block up to the battery post negative side.
If you suspect the solenoid, the two small wires are the energizing for the electromagnetic switch. One is ground, negative and the other positive. So you can unhook both, then run two test leads, one to ground and one to B+. It should make a loud click, hopefully also turning the motor/ starter.
If not, then try jumping the two large posts of the solenoid with a socket extension bar. This will activate the starter bypassing the solenoid. If it still doesn't turn, then either battery is to low, or the cables have a bad connection, or the starter is no good. To find out, you can Jump the starter from the solenoid large terminals from a Non Running vehicle, also hooking to the engine block with the negative cable. It should spin, if not bad starter.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 Sep 2012 01:09 #547750 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Fuse box question
Using A Honda Starter In A Kawasaki

Buda from the www.kzrider.com forum wrote:

Will not turn the engine over....10.25 10 1 comp 1170 cc......took starter out and ran it with a battery....the starter spins strong but starts to squeal after a second.....also the shaft has a lot of play side to side. Bad starter I’m guessing What do you guys think?

Took the starter apart.....the bushing on the drive end is cracked

MFolks Wrote:
For a stronger starter motor, read this:

Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. This owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

Buda Wrote:
Thanks M.....Just ordered the rebuild kit before I read your post....If that doesn't work out I'll give the Honda starter a shot.

Got a the Honda starter MFolks recommended (SM 220 12 volt 0.8 KW) on ebay...hell of a difference.....Turns over like the plugs are missing....I'm sure the new battery doesn't hurt, but its a hell of a difference.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• BRABBIT04161991
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2012 02:39 #547769 by BRABBIT04161991
Wow, i never knew you could use a honda starter ill test the solenoide and if not I'll go from there thx

• BRABBIT04161991
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2012 20:58 #548929 by BRABBIT04161991
So I made a very noob mistake lol instead of hooking up the starter switch when I was connecting wires, I hooked up the siren switch instead lol I just figured it out after staring at the diagram for 20 mins lol I'll redo it tonight and keep everyone posted. The best part is, I still haven't dropped a dime into this project :)