Another won't start thread

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Sep 2012 11:21 #547584 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Another won't start thread
Ok, I'm running again as of this morning. Once again it's a bit of a mystery and hard to tell what to learn from each of these experiences. It wouldn't start last night, I put the battery on a trickle charge over night, went out this morning and it fired up.

So something I did yesterday fixed it, but by then the battery must have been worn down and preventing it from starting. I'm used to what a dead (or weak) battery sounds like on a car and I didn't really hear anything like that yesterday and the battery was producing 12v according to my multimeter. But I guess it still must have been too weak.

I've learned that I've been verifying spark incorrectly. I didn't realize it was important to leave the other spark plug leads on when you're verifiying spark. I think I did that sometimes, but not others. Which explains why I frequently feel like I'm chasing my tail when tracking down ignition issues.

The new plugs have a nice fat blue spark. I then tested the old plugs that I just pulled out and they actually look just fine as well (though they were a little black and I'll need to adjust my mixture). So I don't think it was ever a problem with the plugs.

Sometime yesterday I noticed my headlamp wasn't on while I was testing for spark. I opened up the headlight bucket, checked the headlamp connections (all seemed fine) put it back together and the headlight came on. I'm now wondering if that short was causing the problem all along and I just hadn't noticed the light being out. And by the time I'd fixed that, I'd messed up some other stuff (I put the timing advancer cam on backwards) and worn down the battery. With the battery charged and all the stuff straightened out, the bike started up.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2012 18:45 #547657 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Another won't start thread
Aren't electrical gremlins just so much fun?

At any rate, glad you at least have her running now. Enjoy

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Sep 2012 23:36 #547735 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Another won't start thread
Cool, good to here it is running again.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
10 Sep 2012 00:54 #547748 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Another won't start thread
hahahahahahahahahaa

that is too rich

Topper wrote: After 700 failed attempts to start, it's pretty drained. I think it's time to put it on trickle charge and start again tomorrow.

I've not really made any progress. I can confirm that my concern with the kick starter was unwarrented. Bone head move #145 I had the clutch lever held with a strap to make checking for spark easier. Forgot it was there when I discovered the kick lever had no resistance. So at least that's explained.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife