So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.

More
05 Sep 2012 00:14 #546740 by PRM068
G'day guys,

recently I've thought about redoing the top end of my motor (1982 KZ1000 LTD).

I've never done this before. Sure, I've pulled engines out, replaced boxes etc (in old Valiants mind you), but never tinkered with the actual "guts" of a motor.

I have my factory Kawasaki manual - I've read all the stuff about ripping it down and replacing rings etc.

I was hoping someone could explain in simple terms, what is the process of getting new rings and possibly valves etc ? Like, when you take the old rings off, do you simply buy the same ones, are valves simply thrown out and new ones put in of the same type ?
I always here of "oversized this and that".......all i want to do is freshen up my motor, and I hope I'm not getting in over my head. Should I be checking Ebay for inlet and exhaust valves that suit my KZ......I realise I may have to get the head checked, but what happens to valve size if they have to clean it up ?

Hope I'm not over simplifying things....just thought I'd ask in case there's some easy answers to help me undrestand what to do. At the moment my bike is running great BUT......I'm always cleaning up plug 2 and the pistons look a little "wet" on top. The bike uses a little oil but isn't blowing heaps of smoke. I just feel it may be a little tired and could use a freshen up. In saying that - I could just as easy leave it alone and ride it till something goes awry.

Thanks,

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2012 02:54 #546768 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.
You need some special tools to measure bore wear to see what's going on. If the motor has less than 40k miles and not abused, I doubt it needs rings. I am no expert on the 1000 but I believe the rings are rare and pricey when you find them. Avoid unless absolutely necessary. Compression test (or leakdown) will tell you if you need rings.

Valves probably don't need replacing but the head should be done and valve seals replaced. They will lap the valves and seats and should be good to go. If you are oiling plugs, it's typically the valve seals.

If it runs OK, doesn't use a lot of oil and compression is in spec, might want to drive it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Sep 2012 05:19 #546780 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.
When is it smoking? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Sep 2012 10:45 - 05 Sep 2012 10:47 #546818 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.
That a bit of a tough job is you've never been into a motor before.
Cam timing alone if not correct can bend vales. Im not saying dont do it, but carefully check each step, holler if you have questions. Im sure people here will be glad to help.
As said above, you have to measure everything properly to see if the cylinder indeed needs bored or if your in limits. Also have to do a marking test with marker to see where new vlaves sit ijn the seat, bacause seats wear and move wear up or down the valve face. Book will also cover some of that.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2012 10:47 by OldSchoolZ.

More
05 Sep 2012 18:48 #546891 by PRM068
Replied by PRM068 on topic So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.
Thanks for the reply guys,

I was kind of at the stage where I thought it's about time I pulled a motor down. Been into cars my whole life and recently bikes.

This is the thing - it doesn't seem to blow smoke. The plugs foul a little and I know i have oil leaking from those rubber seals on the side of the valve cover - but not heaps of oil - does pool a little though. I suppose for a bike that's heaps.

When the plugs are new, the thing runs perfect and smooth, but after a while (especially after higher speeds of 65 - 70 mph), you occasionally get this vibration which isn'y mechanical.....it's like something "missing". Then of course I check the plugs and number 2 is alwys prett black....No.3 also but not as bad.

When i shine a torrh down the cylinders thay appear "wet" on top of the piston - almost oily, but not sure it's oil. Wouldn't be fuel would it ?

Sorry about the vague analysis......just woke up fellas.

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD

More
05 Sep 2012 19:50 #546899 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.
Are you sure your spark plugs are the correct heat range? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Sep 2012 02:45 - 06 Sep 2012 02:47 #546971 by bountyhunter

after a while (especially after higher speeds of 65 - 70 mph), you occasionally get this vibration which isn'y mechanical.....it's like something "missing". Then of course I check the plugs and number 2 is alwys prett black....No.3 also but not as bad.

If those are original coils, they could be failing under heat.

Plugs 2-3 are in series on the same coil. Both blacking up points at a coil problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Sep 2012 02:47 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Sep 2012 08:10 #546986 by PRM068
Bounty Hunter....thanks. I reckon you're onto something. It really does feel like a "running" problem.

I'll check the manual and get back to you all. Bike still runs / performs well, but there's definitely something amiss. I almost thought I had an exhaust leak today, but can't find any leaks.

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD

More
06 Sep 2012 11:33 #547021 by Tony

More
06 Sep 2012 16:02 #547074 by bountyhunter
You can isolate coil problem by switching coils and see if problem switches with it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Sep 2012 18:14 #547111 by PRM068

bountyhunter wrote: You can isolate coil problem by switching coils and see if problem switches with it.

Been looking in my manual....just has removal and instal of the coils - nothing about testing. I have found some stuff on the forum regarding testing, but is it just as simple as switching them ? They're no "side specific "?

Also, if I do need a new one (used), when I'm checking through Ebay, does it need to be for a 1000 or will other engine models suit ?

Thanks again (very much) for getting back to me. A bit new to bikes and need all the help I can trying to understand them.

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD

More
06 Sep 2012 18:36 #547117 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic So.....I'm thinking of changing the rings.

PRM068 wrote: ...my manual....just has removal and instal of the coils - nothing about testing....

Could remove plugs to see fat blue sparks, which indicates the coil is okay.

Weak orange sparks could result from several other things besides a deficient coil.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD