is this a no go?

More
26 Aug 2012 21:54 #544932 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic is this a no go?

Attachment uploadfromtaptalk1346028881593.jpg not found

This stuff will grab it

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 01:13 #544986 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic is this a no go?
The principal is the same there as well, BUT if its an inner bearing on the crank, its new crank time/ new bearing.
Not as easy as simply sliding in a new bearing on a tranny shaft.
Any bearing thats spun has to be replaced.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
27 Aug 2012 04:36 #545007 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic is this a no go?
Gents, taking a guess - to me it looks like a large pin hole which goes through the web, if you have a look at the outer part of the bearing face there is a cavity underneath, I've seen castings that have pin holes. It definitely does not look like its been "picked up" because in that case a seizing mark would go around. Check the under side of the hole and if it goes through there's your problem, even if it doesn't there might've been something caught during assembly, which ever way I don't see any machinical issues unless it leaks oil out, just loctite the bearing to ensure it doesn't spin (new bearing of course)

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

More
27 Aug 2012 09:09 #545015 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic is this a no go?
gee man, a bit confusing inputs...

maybe show us pics of the shells?

a spun shell will have the anti spin tab flattend, so that would tell you.

if the tabs are fine, then there nothing to worry about

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Aug 2012 09:38 #545017 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic is this a no go?
First the cases are machined in pairs, so if there is a problem with one half it means a set of cases.
The cases should be Torqued together and the bearing bore measured for both size/ diameter/ roundness etc. There is where you will find if it is usable as is. Don't Punch the surface, as this will distort the new bearing shell, causing strange wear patterns, and possible seizure. Many engine parts can be re-machined for the bearings to fit it, it is called Align- Boring. On your Kawasaki it would mean an oversize bearing for the outside dia, to fit the oversize hole. I doubt there is a bearing listed for it by application. It would have to be something found to fit by size, and might prove hard to locate. I'm sure Kawasaki would replace the cases for a bad bearing bore.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
27 Aug 2012 13:31 - 27 Aug 2012 13:33 #545057 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic is this a no go?
The tangs should hold it plus the crush provided it didn't spin the bore bigger, I myself would be skeptical of loctite, it would decrease bore diameter possibly creating excess crush which in turn decreases oil clearance. Also, the clean, precise bore aids in heat transfer from the bearing and I'm not sure if the loctite would allow proper heat transfer. I toasted A LOT of bearing years ago on the 650/750 stuff and never had a bearing spin in the cases, seen what looked like possible movement but never spun.
Just my 2 cents. :whistle:
Better yet, look at the bearings that came out of it for a slipped tang and post a pic of the bearings that came out of it

Les
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 13:33 by les holt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R, wireman

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
28 Aug 2012 11:13 - 28 Aug 2012 11:18 #545267 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic is this a no go?

Pop147 wrote: There is a chip on out put shaft upper case half. It feels smooth to the touch but, its fairly deep. Also there is some wear on the side of the crank case upper half. Is this case half reusable?

I believe this whole thread has confused the majority that has read it. It appears to me most on here are thinking he's referring to a crankshaft bearing, which his first sentence directed you to. The pic of the questionable bearing bore is referring to the tranny output shaft bearing bore in his upper case halve.
That doesn't look like wear on your case in the first pic. Unless I'm not seeing what you are referring to.
The bearing bore looks like it should hold a new bearing. Most output shaft bearing failures are caused by chain being too tight.

The suggestions to use the bearing retaining compound will work on the output shaft bearing if used sparingly. No way it will work on a split crank bearing shell. :S

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 11:18 by BlackZ1R. Reason: no case wear in first pic

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Aug 2012 14:27 #545296 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic is this a no go?
the first picture looks to me like the crank is having a thrust issue and riding to one side a little,thats why i say to have crank checked to be sure B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
28 Aug 2012 15:13 #545304 by BlackZ1R
I've never seen the bearings for a 750 twin. Which bearing has the thrust surface?
That pattern looked like where the thrust bearing was installed. New bearings should do the trick if the thrust surface on the crank halves aren't worn.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Aug 2012 23:36 #545384 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic is this a no go?
Ive never been inside a 750 motor,just judging from the picture that would be my guess though B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2012 23:40 #545387 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic is this a no go?
The bearings for the mains are the same for each position, no thrust bearing. I believe like some of the small 4's it is the case itself that controls the end play/ thrust.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
29 Aug 2012 13:11 #545468 by BlackZ1R
If that's the case, he's in good shape then. That wear pattern looks very minimal and most likely typical of the twins.

Kawasaki