15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

More
21 Aug 2012 13:11 #543889 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

Looks like there's a non ethanol station 1 mile from home, so that's where I'll be. Thanks for the info.
-Ken

Nice, if there's a nearby non-ethanol, it's well worth it IMHO. Since these engines weren't designed to take advantage of the higher Cmpression ratios achievable with ethanol, there's no real advantage to the stuff. You'll get better mileage and power out of the straight gas (maybe not noticeable more power, but it's there).

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2012 13:46 #543897 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Here's the #1 best solution to combat E## fuels. Been using it for the past 6 years with zero "E" fuel related issues .

mystarbrite.com/startron/

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
21 Aug 2012 13:59 #543908 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

fxdl2051 wrote: Looks like marine Stabil is way to go, anyone else use the stuff?

A friend of mine uses it in his 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo. I have been using it myself since I found it for my boat. I use it in all my gas, from the lawn mower to the family car. The nearest ethanol free station to us is hours away so we are stuck with it.

They make a pink colored stuff now called just Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment, but from what I can tell its the same as marine sta-bil in a different package with a different color.

www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx#marine_formula

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
21 Aug 2012 22:32 #543984 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Maybe not. With this drought that is affecting the Mid West corn growers it is alredy causing the price of gas to go up (actually any old excuse will do) with the 10% ethanol. Higher gas prices due to higher corn prices may put the ki-bosh on the 15% ethanol gas. Just a thought.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
07 Sep 2012 17:18 #547335 by Rocks
Replied by Rocks on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

blipco wrote: Maybe not. With this drought that is affecting the Mid West corn growers it is alredy causing the price of gas to go up (actually any old excuse will do) with the 10% ethanol. Higher gas prices due to higher corn prices may put the ki-bosh on the 15% ethanol gas. Just a thought.

I sure hope you're right, no E free gas anywhere near me and I've already had it cause problems with both lawn mower and snow blower carbs.

Rocks
'83 KZ440b

More
07 Sep 2012 19:06 #547350 by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
Replied by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

bountyhunter wrote: I doubt very much bumping to 15% alcohol will hurt anything. That said, since I rebuilt my motor five years ago I have been using the following. The octane supreme has tetraethyl lead in it as well as boosts octane. The lucas top cylinder lubricant keeps the gas fresher and prevents deposits. I have not had to touch the carbs for 5+ years and still runs perfect.

Bountyhunter,
How much do you boost your octane to?

1979 KZ1000 LTD

More
07 Sep 2012 21:38 #547376 by blipco

Rocks wrote:

blipco wrote: Maybe not. With this drought that is affecting the Mid West corn growers it is alredy causing the price of gas to go up (actually any old excuse will do) with the 10% ethanol. Higher gas prices due to higher corn prices may put the ki-bosh on the 15% ethanol gas. Just a thought.

I sure hope you're right, no E free gas anywhere near me and I've already had it cause problems with both lawn mower and snow blower carbs.

Of course you must also take into account that when Congress needs a few additional votes from the Mid West states they usually promise them something that has to do with fuel additives.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Sep 2012 22:34 #547389 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
If somebody would make a simple retro fuel injection system for these bikes id be all for running 100% alcohal,good clean cheap much more hp but youd cut mileage in half to do it.
Think of all the money those crooks in washington would lose out on if people started running stuff on moon shine! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebr_Rex

More
08 Sep 2012 02:05 #547428 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: I doubt very much bumping to 15% alcohol will hurt anything. That said, since I rebuilt my motor five years ago I have been using the following. The octane supreme has tetraethyl lead in it as well as boosts octane. The lucas top cylinder lubricant keeps the gas fresher and prevents deposits. I have not had to touch the carbs for 5+ years and still runs perfect.

Bountyhunter,
How much do you boost your octane to?

I buy 87 (the lowest stuff) and bump it up to about 90.

I could just buy premium to get the octane rating but I add tetra ethyl lead for the valves and it's in the octane booster.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA

More
08 Sep 2012 09:02 #547448 by blipco

wireman wrote: If somebody would make a simple retro fuel injection system for these bikes id be all for running 100% alcohal,good clean cheap much more hp but youd cut mileage in half to do it.
Think of all the money those crooks in washington would lose out on if people started running stuff on moon shine! :woohoo:

Careful with that. Some of those old stills use copper pipe with high lead content solder. Good for the bike, bad for the person. You gotta admit, good moonshine is a good thing. :side:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
08 Sep 2012 11:28 #547466 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
I dont drink,of course doing plumbing/hvac and boilers all these years Im sure theres enough lead and asbestos circulating through my body to to lead several quarter panels without worrying about getting the interior panels hot! :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.