15% Ethanol, am I doomed?

More
20 Aug 2012 17:56 #543682 by fxdl2051
15% Ethanol, am I doomed? was created by fxdl2051
Guys,I've been hearing a lot about EPA's whoring after the corn lobby and the preposed bump to 15% ethanol content that they're preposing. So on our old KZ's what's this going to do to the engines,carbs and component life? I've heard this stuff is bad on seals etc. and not a good idea for these old motors. Since I have a 1978 KZ1000ST I'm wondering what this will do to my bike and any measures to prevent damage?
Thanks all,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2012 18:03 #543684 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Well, it's mostly at 10% now, so I don't know how much the next 5% would do. I imagine it wouldn't be too drastic, thought it's certainly worse. That said, even now you can find places that still sell honest to God gasoline, no ethanol. They're just relatively rare. But yes, the ethanol does eat up really any of the rubber components. For some of the gaskets and the like there may be ethanol resistant replacements available. Some of the folks who've been around here longer would know better than me.

Might be able to find some real gas here. not a complete list, but a pretty good start:
pure-gas.org/
Also, if you know of any not on the list, I believe it's all from user submissions, so let them know. I'd love to find one around the cincinnati area.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
20 Aug 2012 18:44 #543696 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
I doubt very much bumping to 15% alcohol will hurt anything. That said, since I rebuilt my motor five years ago I have been using the following. The octane supreme has tetraethyl lead in it as well as boosts octane. The lucas top cylinder lubricant keeps the gas fresher and prevents deposits. I have not had to touch the carbs for 5+ years and still runs perfect.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Humenik

More
20 Aug 2012 18:47 #543700 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
The biggest thing ethanol causes problems with is fuel lines and fuel pumps. We're exempt from the pumps part, and any newer (since whenever they started throwing ethanol in gas) fuel lines can handle it. If you have the original fuel lines, they'll start to dissolve and gum up everything. Otherwise you should be good. Gaskets might start leaking sooner than they normally would. But we're not talking you have to start replacing them yearly or anything. Maybe they just wear out in 9 years instead of 10, or however long the particular seal is normally good for.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
20 Aug 2012 18:55 #543702 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
If your bike has a vacuum petcock, then I'd keep an eye on that, particularly the diaphragm & the little o-ring.

More
20 Aug 2012 21:23 #543726 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Ethanol In Gasoline Problems (E-10, E-15, E-20, E-30, & E-85)

Certain materials commonly used with gasoline may be incompatible with high-level ethanol blends, causing them to degrade and contaminate the fuel. Metals that have been shown to degrade over time in the presence of high-level alcohol blends include brass,(floats & jets) lead, zinc(carb bodies) and lead-based solder.

Nonmetallic materials that degrade when in contact with ethanol include natural rubber, polyurethane, cork gasket material, leather, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) polyamides, and certain thermoplastic or thermoset polymers.

On the other hand, unplated steel, nickel-plated steel, stainless steel, black iron and bronze have shown resistance to ethanol corrosion, with nonmetallic materials like reinforced fiberglass, Buna-N, Neoprene rubber, polypropylene, nitrile rubber, Viton and Teflon meeting acceptable usage standards with E85.

1. Ethanol can break down resins and fillers in fiberglass gas tanks, causing them to leak.

2. Resins leached from fiberglass tanks can go through the fuel system, sticking to valves and other internal engine parts.

3.These deposits have caused bent pushrods and have clogged intake valves.

4.The alcohol attracts water, leading to increased corrosion in metal gas tanks.

5.Water in the fuel affects the octane and leads to knocking and decreased performance.

6.Ethanol acts as an efficient solvent, gradually cleaning out the accumulated gunk in fuel tanks and lines, and clogging carburetors.

7. Certain rubber gaskets and fuel lines are weakened by ethanol. Some rubber fuel lines may develop internal swelling, restricting the flow of gasoline. My understanding is the Silicone fuel lines resist the effects of Ethanol in gas.

8. The Ethanol in the gas has been reported to attack the glue used in gas filters, rendering them useless, as the paper filter medium is now coated with glue. It also softened the filter hose connection ends, causing possible failure.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Aug 2012 23:34 #543762 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Good Old "Marvels Mystery Oil" been using it in gas for 30 years.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
20 Aug 2012 23:40 - 20 Aug 2012 23:42 #543763 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
I just keep putting fresh gas in it :P

She's running good on 89 oct with 10% ethanol

46 mpg B)

This winter I'll probably add some marine Stabil to help combat the Ethanol from breaking down :angry:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 20 Aug 2012 23:42 by bluej58.

More
21 Aug 2012 01:06 #543782 by fxdl2051
Replied by fxdl2051 on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Thanks for the tip, I've been using Seafoam for years and surprise, it contains alcohol. Looks like marine Stabil is way to go, anyone else use the stuff?
Thanks,
Ken

More
21 Aug 2012 01:10 #543785 by fxdl2051
Replied by fxdl2051 on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Looks like there's a non ethanol station 1 mile from home, so that's where I'll be. Thanks for the info.
-Ken

• Demon650
  • User
  • tattooist, fabricator, father, rider...
More
21 Aug 2012 11:40 #543852 by Demon650
Replied by Demon650 on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
I've been using a product called ETHANOL SHIELD which claims to stabilize fuel for "up to three years"
(if you dont go through a tank of gas by then- YOU REALLY NEED TO RIDE MORE!)...
I digress, this stuff is only like three-four dollars, can be found at most auto stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and one little bottle treats 80 gal.!!!
If there are really any questions about the life/longevity of your baby, I would say this stuff is definitely worth the under 5 dollar investment!!
-Beck

...once more, into the void...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Humenik

More
21 Aug 2012 11:58 #543861 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic 15% Ethanol, am I doomed?
Im guessing it nwas 7 years ago or so, when they started adding ethanol.
This is why your gasoline is only good for a month or a little more unless stored in large volume.
The alcohol evaporates and there ya go.
I work in the natural gas industry and recently heard all the FlyingJ gas station are getting set up for propane power. Our govt is secretly getting this nation ready for natural gas.
It really is a no brainer for economy, but not too good for motorcycles.
ANY engine almost can be powered by natural gas. Govt is finally facing the fact they cant keep screwing the nation.Compressors, electrical city generators ect... can all run a cheap clean burning fuel. We have GIANT compressors which pressure up our gas in pipelines to send it elsewhere. These giant compressors run right off the natural gas coming from the ocean. Free compression basically.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.