Rough riding after valve clearance adjustment

More
17 Aug 2012 01:12 #543008 by daless
'77 KZ1000A

Shortly after buying my bike (a first experience with this type) I started hearing what I thought were tapping valves, and so I decided to check the clearances. Ended up adjusting all four exhaust sides from .006-.008 down to .003-.004 (the mid/higher end of the range according to Clymer).

Got everything back together, changed oil (10w40), and started her up. Things seemed nice and smooth at first (although I did end up messing with the idle screw a bit), until after warming up I started going through the gears and picking up speed.

First symptom is a rough sound starts coming from in the left side of the engine (which I'm hoping just means I need thicker oil, since I did have that side cover off to replace the gasket).

Second, and of most inconvenience, the bike will eventually just stall while rolling off the throttle to shift or slow down. To get going again the choke has to be on and the idle kept high. Then she revs up and once you get going you can turn the choke off and the idle back down, but soon enough things get rough again and the cycle repeats.

I'm also still hearing the original tapping sound, and so it seems I need some advice. Have a go at it.

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat
The following user(s) said Thank You: donthaveakawman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2012 01:28 #543012 by MFolks
I'd get the bike on the center stand, and if possible, slightly lean it to the right to minimize and oil loss. Open up the left side cover & look at the magnetic rotor. There have been reports of the adhesive failing, that holds the magnetic segments in place.

Any battery charging problems?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Aug 2012 02:38 #543019 by daless
Everything seemed intact when I had the cover off before, but I could recheck it. Was thinking I should go back in there anyway to make sure that smaller gear piece is in correctly.

The original battery (old acid fill style) did have a charge holding problem. The first time I took out the bike and noticed its issues I had to walk home because the battery finally died after stalling and restarting so many times.

But I bought a brand new modern style battery and it's working very well. It just started right up after sitting a few days.

More
17 Aug 2012 04:27 #543022 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Rough riding after valve clearance adjustment
Check your plugs and intake boots.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
17 Aug 2012 07:23 #543029 by LarryC

MFolks wrote: I'd get the bike on the center stand, and if possible, slightly lean it to the right to minimize and oil loss. Open up the left side cover & look at the magnetic rotor. There have been reports of the adhesive failing, that holds the magnetic segments in place.

Any battery charging problems?

Those rotors don't do that. That's the early style charging system with the small rotor that spins inside the stator. It's the later models, 79+ that happens to.

Larry C.

More
17 Aug 2012 16:13 #543125 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rough riding after valve clearance adjustment
sounds like a carb problem. Is the tank/petcock clean? Inline filters clean?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Aug 2012 16:30 #543127 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Rough riding after valve clearance adjustment

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Check your plugs and intake boots.

My bike did that when my plugs were fouled very very badly. I had no idea because I just bought the bike. Also, my intake boots were cracked and air was getting in, messing with the air/fuel mixture.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
17 Aug 2012 21:04 - 17 Aug 2012 21:06 #543153 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Rough riding after valve clearance adjustment
Probably not, but did you in any way effect your cam timing? Maybe pull the tensioner loose?
If you had to remove cams I would say cam timing but if you didnt mess with any of that, your probably ok there.
P.S. Exhaust leaks on a KZ often sound like vale tapping.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 21:06 by OldSchoolZ. Reason: add

More
18 Aug 2012 02:39 #543235 by daless
I'll check the plugs and intake boots next. When I had the tank off for the valve clearance check I noticed rust, so I cleaned it out along with the petcock before reassembly. Maybe the same needs to be done with the carbs. Inline filter is fine.

Didn't mess with the cams at all, but that exhaust leak bit sounds interesting.

• Paroxyst
  • User
  • KZ550 -82 B3. KZ550 A1. ZX550A1. CBR600F2
More
18 Aug 2012 03:35 #543237 by Paroxyst
Replied by Paroxyst on topic Rough riding after valve clearance adjustment
I checked and rechecked the carb holders and didn´t see anything wrong with them until I sprayed them with starter gas. I had also renovated the valves and seats and went down 1 size in 4 places. 3 exhaust 1 intake. But the hose clamps were streched so they didn´t grip tight and until I found that problem and replaced the hose clamps I was going nuts and trying everything that could be wrong with it. So spray the card holders with start help gas and see if the idle changes. If the holders are ok then nothing will happen, if it changes even a little then you might have the problem right there.

More
19 Aug 2012 23:20 - 19 Aug 2012 23:21 #543520 by 650ed

daless wrote: '77 KZ1000A

..Got everything back together, changed oil (10w40)..First symptom is a rough sound starts coming from in the left side of the engine (which I'm hoping just means I need thicker oil, since I did have that side cover off to replace the gasket).

Thicker oil will not fix anything.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2012 23:21 by 650ed.

More
20 Aug 2012 10:41 #543595 by Gman
You might want to synchronize to carbs. In some cases, changing valve shims will change the cylinder vacuum on each individual cylinders thus creating a rough idle condition. Don't forget to check the cam chain adjustment and timing too.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project