Steering mis-aligned

More
10 Aug 2012 13:10 #541747 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Steering mis-aligned
He's saying loosen the fork tube clamps (lower and upper) triple tree clamps on the fork tubes.
If there's rotational tension they should rotate back into place with no clamp pressure on them... ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunty27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2012 13:33 - 10 Aug 2012 13:34 #541754 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Steering mis-aligned
OMG...

the fork tubes are twisted in the clamps!

Remove the wheel, and re-install the fork tubes and front wheel per your manual.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 10 Aug 2012 13:34 by Kidkawie.

More
12 Aug 2012 09:50 #542057 by Bunty27
Replied by Bunty27 on topic Steering mis-aligned
I have a very interesting development on this topic and I swear I'm not smoking anything funny while I write this.... ;)

So from all your suggestions, I first completely loosened the bolts on both the upper and lower triple clamps and freed up the tubes. This did not fix the problem right away so I tried twisting the tubes around and moving them up and down and nothing changed. So not knowing what else to do, I decided to remove the wheel and tubes and re-install them. I jacked up the engine to get the front wheel off but didn't realize that I had overdone it. And while I was still with the jack sitting on the left side of the motorbike, the vehicle just tipped over and fell to the other side to the right(luckily). My wife, hearing the loud thud, came running into the garage and helped me pick up the bike (I think there was hint of dissapointment on her face seeing me OK but that's a topic for a totally different forum :lol: ). And once the bike was up, drum roll please, the steering alignment issue had fixed itself.

My guess is since the steering handle had taken the brunt force of the fall, it jerked something back into place. Like I said before, there is evidence that the bike had taken a bad fall to the left front but this time the fall was on the right. Maybe it was still the twisted triples that got re-aligned or something else with the steering system but everything is perfectly aligned now. I'm not sure not to make of this but I immediately tightened all the bolts that I had loosened after making sure the tubes were at the correct height inside the clamps.

Luckily, I see no other damage from the fall. The carbs and gas tank were off the bike from the fall so they are safe. I guess I saved myself a ton of work by getting lucky but I would not recommend this to anyone obviously. :) However, it is disconcerting not to know the real reason for the misalignment. Any comments???

P.S: No comments on my sanity or sincerity of the topic will be appreciated. :P

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
12 Aug 2012 11:20 #542079 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Steering mis-aligned
You actually think we're not going to comment on this fix.... :blink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Freaking sludge hammer/slam the bitch to the ground fixes another KZ, awesome.... B)

As for who-what... Had a bind somewhere throughout where once loosening all and the imapct :pinch: put things where they needed to be... go with that and be happy... ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
12 Aug 2012 11:37 - 12 Aug 2012 11:56 #542081 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Steering mis-aligned
If you don't have a shop manual to give you torque settings for all the bolts one can be found for the 82 550 in the KZR file base, the index starts on page 307 ;)

I'm not sure what model the LTD is but you might find what your looking for on pages 228-235 or 294-297

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 12 Aug 2012 11:56 by bluej58.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
12 Aug 2012 12:47 #542089 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Steering mis-aligned
If you didnt loosen the big bolt on top of triple tree and cinch bolt in front of tank it could still be in a bind,the axle clamps and fender could of also been holding it .
Make sure to torque the top bolt in triple tree and cinch down if it has any give things will twist again B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunty27

More
12 Aug 2012 16:43 #542125 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Steering mis-aligned
This is why I tear down used bikes and reassemble myself.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125