Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(

More
22 Jul 2012 23:07 #537753 by Bunty27
Replied by Bunty27 on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
Thanks Nebr_Rex. I did do it that the the first time. But I have the carbs off now so I'm guessing throttle is not an issue for now.

1982 KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2012 00:28 #538414 by Bunty27
I tried renting a compression gauge from Autozone near my house it did not have a 12mm adapter and so it didn't work. Does anyone know some other place that may have this tool for loan? Or I may just have to buy it from someplace, use it and return it for a refund. But not too comfortable doing that.

1982 KZ550 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2012 00:49 #538420 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
A lot of the Auto Parts Stores will loan one. An Equipment/ Rental Store would have one in there tool section. Lots of places sell them, Pep Boys, Sears, etc.
Best to get a decent one, just so you can be more sure of the readings. HF one read 20psi low when I tried one, compared to two others I had. I just wanted the adapter in the kit, which did work fine, with my other gauge.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunty27

More
26 Jul 2012 23:03 #538886 by Bunty27
Here are some pictures that I took of my intake valves. 3 of the 4 looked fine but the valve lifter and the valve rod itself look pretty beat up. Any ideas on what's going on here? I still haven't had a chance to get a good compression tester but I was able to temporarily put the carbs back on without the throttle cables plugged in and was able to get the engine started with some starter fluid and the engine seemed to run file on idle. Of course, I'm still working on cleaning/tuning my carbs and replacing the stuck float valve.

Attachment cylinder_1.jpg not found

Attachment cylinder_4.jpg not found

1982 KZ550 LTD
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Jul 2012 09:52 #538966 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
In the top picture, it looks like something might be in the port right up on the valve seat. Looking at the picture, there is some sharp edges around what should be the base of the valve seat. There at the Yellow shaded areas.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

More
02 Aug 2012 13:55 #540267 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
Yes, there is a problem with one of the harbor freight compression testers. They put the check valve at the gauge end instead of at the spark-plug end.

You don't need a screw-in type. I usually use the hold-in type with the rubber tip. There is not enough pressure to push you off (because the 550's use smaller diameter spark plugs than most KZ's). With the motor cold I would expect numbers in the 120 to 140 range (on a good gauge). Hot will be much better. Most people forget to have the throttle at wide open during the test. As ed said, you want all 4 plugs out too so the starter won't have to work so hard.

If things changed after you did your hand move, then something went into the motor or something moved, that was already in there.

Try to fish it out. Opening the motor is a can of worms for a novice.

If you do anything with the valves, please check the valve train warning in my sig.

More
02 Aug 2012 15:13 - 02 Aug 2012 15:47 #540279 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(

loudhvx wrote: ...people forget to have the throttle at wide open during the test....

The reason that's important is because the piston's downward "intake" stroke must be able to suck air into the cylinder through the intake port from the carb. The sucked-in air is then compressed as the piston rises on its compression stroke with both valves closed.

Holding the throttle wide open assures plenty of air to be sucked through the carb into the cylinder.

With throttle closed, the carb slide is down and blocking free flow of air through the carb bore.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 15:47 by Patton.

More
02 Aug 2012 18:06 #540313 by Bunty27
Thank for the reply Lou. Where can I buy one of them non-screw type compression testers? Any recommendations on the model/type and a place to get 'em would be much appreciated.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
02 Aug 2012 18:07 #540314 by Bunty27
I have the carbs off the engine now so I'm guessing open throttle is not a problem any longer. I just need to find some time and go fishing for a good compression gauge.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
02 Aug 2012 21:44 #540355 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI think I've been using one of these for 25 years. I have a Sunpro, but I think Actron is the company that made them, or had them made.

More
03 Aug 2012 11:35 #540465 by Bunty27
I just placed an order for one from here. Thanks a ton!

1982 KZ550 LTD

• Paroxyst
  • User
  • KZ550 -82 B3. KZ550 A1. ZX550A1. CBR600F2
More
03 Aug 2012 11:55 #540469 by Paroxyst
Replied by Paroxyst on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

This the one I have now. Also very good.