Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(

More
21 Jul 2012 23:59 - 22 Jul 2012 00:02 #537566 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
After giving it considerable thought, the only possibility I could envision is a piece of carbon got stuck on the intake valve and is holding it open a tiny bit.Possibly caused by air getting by the rings when the piston was on the intake stroke and you had your hand over the intake creating a vacuum. Take the valve cover off and check the clearance between each cam lobe and shim/bucket, if that cylinder's intake valve has excessive clearance, then my guess is correct.

If you didn't rotate the motor one complete revolution between testing number one and testing number two, then one of them was on the exhaust stroke and the intake valve was open. Number one the way it sounds. :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 00:02 by steell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2012 23:59 #537567 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(

Bunty27 wrote: OK, so I did the poor man's compression test with cylinder 1 that I managed to mess up with my hand trick and viola, I could clearly feel a lot of air coming out of the open carb intake (I took the carbs are out). I repeated the test on cylinder 4 which I did not mess with and I couldn't feel air escaping out of anything, especially not out of the carb intake for sure.

So it's certain that by putting my hand over the carb intake while doing the compression test, I managed to mess things up. But the question now is what is it that I did to that one cylinder and what can I do to fix it? Gurus, please help!!!!!!

Not possible unless you dropped something inside the intake port. Consider this - when the carbs are on and the throttle is closed there is only a very small opening for air to pass through, not unlike having your hand over the intake. If you are feeling a lot of air coming out of the intake I would guess your intake valve is not closing all the way. Is it possible you had a piece of rag or paper towel or something else in your hand that got sucked into the intake? Can you peek in there through the port to see if any obstruction can be seen? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Jul 2012 00:39 #537575 by Bunty27
Replied by Bunty27 on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
I'm certain there was nothing else in my hand and nothing else go sucked into the intake. Maybe something was there before and got pulled in because of the vacuum created by me putting my hand, kinda like steell suggested. What's the best way to get to the bottom of this? Can I do it by just opening the valve covers and looking around?

1982 KZ550 LTD

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
22 Jul 2012 00:45 #537576 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
Bent valve or out of adjustment, start with a valve adjustment, its for sure hanging open.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
22 Jul 2012 01:52 #537582 by Bunty27
If something is indeed holding the valve from closing, how do I get to it? Can I remove the valve from the top after taking out the valve cover? I've "never" opened up an engine and so I'm a bit nervous.

1982 KZ550 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jul 2012 02:26 #537586 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
With the carb off, look into the intake port, use a mirror. See if the old choke flap is there holding the valve open.
No you can't remove the valve, by only removing the valve cover. The cylinder head would need to be removed to change valves. Look in your port, of nothing there, check valve clearances. I would also verify correct cam timing while your at it.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Paroxyst
  • User
  • KZ550 -82 B3. KZ550 A1. ZX550A1. CBR600F2
More
22 Jul 2012 03:57 #537595 by Paroxyst
Replied by Paroxyst on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
I was reffering to the initial choke flaps that was missing. Not the ones that you made afterwards :(
And no you cannot remove a valve by removing the valve cover off and if your not familiar with rebuilding a cylinder head including valve clearance and cam timing then you better think a couple of times before diving into it. It is perfectly doable if you have little more then basic mech skills and a complete rebuild manual. I think the leak down test is a bit over the top at this time for you. The important thing is that you get a regular compression test done - after those number are in we can take it from there. And again - it IS impossible to ruin something by holding the hand over the intake so you can put that to rest.
I am more worried about your pistons and that´s why you have to get a reliable compression test.

More
22 Jul 2012 08:53 #537611 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
Would again measure the intake valve clearance in #1 cylinder to confirm that at least some minimal clearance exists when the cam lobe is pointed away from the valve. The intake valve is the valve closest to to the carburetor.

The poor man's leak down test (introducing compressed air into a spark plug hole and listening to where it escapes from the combustion clamber) may be done at TDC (top dead center) or any other cam positions where both valves are fully closed and supposedly not leaking.

Top dead center (TDC) is when the piston is at its highest position. An easy way to tell TDC is by alignment of the T mark with the case mark when viewed through the timing window.

Would then repeat the poor man's leak down test in #1 cylinder after first being positive that the piston is at top dead center (where both the intake and exhaust valves are supposed to be fully closed against their seats).

The leak down test helps determine whether fully closed valves are leaking (for whatever reason, such as zero clearance, burnt/damaged valve or seat, blockage between valve and seat, bent valve, incorrect cam timing, weak/broken valve spring, etc.)

Good Fortune!
:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jul 2012 10:15 #537620 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
Make sure your on the compression stroke when doing the Leak Test. Turn the motor, with the 17mm nut, and have either a finger over the top of the plug hole or listen to when the air is forced out when the piston comes up. Be sure to be turning the motor in the correct direction, which for the 4 cylinder is clockwise when looking at the right end of the crankshaft, thats where the Ignition cover and 17mm nut is. Get the 1-4 "T" aligned then, when the air is being pushed out the plug hole. As the camshafts turn once while the crankshaft turns twice, a 2 to 1 gearing. So you could be on the correct 't' mark but 180 degrees out for the cams, which is 360 at the crank.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Jul 2012 11:40 #537645 by Bunty27
Thanks much Patton. I followed your directions and aligned the external mark to the T mark and repeated the poor man's air compression test. And thankfully, the air escaping from the carb intake does NOT happen any longer. :)

I did look through the carb intake valves (using my iphone instead of the camera) and I did not find any choke flaps inside in any of the cylinders. In fact, all the valves looked the same to me. I'll try and share a picture soon.

I need to retry the compression test with a good compression gauge. Meanwhile, I drained the batteries out in the process of all this compression testing. I'll get the battery re-charged, retry the compression tests and share the results.

Thank you very much for all your advice here. You guys are awesome. I've decided to limit my work to the chassis & carbeurator. If there is something wrong with engine, I'll let some knowledgeable mechanic take care of it. Please stay tuned for my compression results. :)

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
22 Jul 2012 11:48 #537647 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(
Be sure to charge the battery using a LOW amperage (1.5 - 2.0 amps) charger. Charging it using a higher amperage charger will shorten its life expectancy. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunty27

More
22 Jul 2012 12:09 #537650 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Cylinder compression test - failed ??? :(

Bunty27 wrote: Thanks much Patton. I followed your directions and aligned the external mark to the T mark and repeated the poor man's air compression test. And thankfully, the air escaping from the carb intake does NOT happen any longer. :)

I did look through the carb intake valves (using my iphone instead of the camera) and I did not find any choke flaps inside in any of the cylinders. In fact, all the valves looked the same to me. I'll try and share a picture soon.

I need to retry the compression test with a good compression gauge. Meanwhile, I drained the batteries out in the process of all this compression testing. I'll get the battery re-charged, retry the compression tests and share the results.

Thank you very much for all your advice here. You guys are awesome. I've decided to limit my work to the chassis & carbeurator. If there is something wrong with engine, I'll let some knowledgeable mechanic take care of it. Please stay tuned for my compression results. :)

And make sure throttle is fully open and spark plugs removed.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0