Secondary shaft removal

More
20 Jul 2012 15:17 #537306 by Calico
Replied by Calico on topic Secondary shaft removal
I was being too gentle. So I wrapped rags around the gear to protect it and popped the shaft like I was trying to keep Dracula from returning from the grave. Came out with one try! So, next headache. This was obviously the problem. 2 springs damaged, 2 plungers cracked! However, one is jammed in there tight. I doubt air will fix this. I made a hook to go through the top of the old plunger out of a paper clip but when I put a fair amount of muscle to it, it just straightened the hook. Starting to wonder if I've angered the motorcycle gods. *smiling & shaking head*

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2012 15:54 #537312 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Secondary shaft removal
Sweet. B)

Did you remove the three allen bolts and split the housing? If not, that makes it a whole lot easier to access the parts.

Btw, when reassembling, use some Loctite or similar on the bolts, you don't want them to come loose inside your engine.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calico

More
20 Jul 2012 16:36 #537323 by Calico
Yeah, I have it apart but there's one that is just stuck in there good. I've been applying wd40 every now and then hoping that it penetrates but still no luck. I'd try to break the plunger into pieces if I wasn't afraid of damaging the housing

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
20 Jul 2012 17:05 - 20 Jul 2012 17:06 #537330 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Secondary shaft removal
Is it possible to put a drift pin through the hole in the perimeter of the piece and drive it out? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 17:06 by 650ed.

More
20 Jul 2012 17:21 #537334 by Calico
only if I had one that was about 1/2" long to tap it straight. But speaking of tap. I'm considering taking a tiny drill bit to it and hoping I can fit a small extractor bit in there

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
20 Jul 2012 21:48 #537385 by Calico
Ok! So I lost all patience for newer/safer ideas when I remembered that I have a spare 750 waiting to be chopped whenever. Please don't scold. SO! I put my starter clutch in a vise and commence to drilling. 3 drill bits broken and one extracting bit worn to nothing later... (that's right, it turned an extracting bit into a metal toothpick) There was almost no headway made other than a larger hole made in the top of the plunger. Ya know, for someone who at one time leveled buildings for a living this was kind of emasculating. So after a breather and an inward pep talk later I carefully chiseled at the top with a nail. Once it started breaking, everything fell into place. I cleaned as much oil as I could from the screws before saturating them with Permatex and hossed'em in. I think I'm gonna finish this tomorrow unless I can't sleep. I will be posting pics asap. Once again, Thank you all so much for all of your input and attention. You really made me happy that I joined this site. Wish I could crack open a cold one with you all. Gnite for now.

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
21 Jul 2012 20:49 #537528 by Calico
So far, so good. I decided to do this with the engine still in. I'm starting to question that a bit. It seems that if the engine were upside down, gravity would be working for me instead of laughing and pointing. But the shaft is back in but it was kinda like playing Jinga in reverse...

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL