Secondary shaft removal

More
18 Jul 2012 22:15 #536898 by Calico
Secondary shaft removal was created by Calico
So I'm trying to get to my starter clutch (yay) I've arived at the point where I have tapped the secondary shaft towards the clutch side to the point where the bearing exited the case. NOW, it doesn't budge in any direction. I know that the book reads that I am to remove the sprocket but doen't mention how and I've just about scratched a hole all the way through my head trying to figure this out... Anyone?

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2012 22:16 #536899 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Secondary shaft removal
Please add the year/model of your bike to your signature. Not all KZ's are configured the same. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calico

More
19 Jul 2012 13:36 #537063 by Calico
Replied by Calico on topic Secondary shaft removal
Whoops! So sorry, and thank you. 82' KZ 750 LTD. I can provide any pics if needed as well though I doubt they would be of any help. Thank you for your reply!

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jul 2012 16:31 #537098 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Secondary shaft removal
Sorry I don't have a workshop manual for that bike. But here is the parts fiche which shows the assy.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calico

More
19 Jul 2012 16:58 #537100 by Calico
Thank you Motor Head. That pic is in the Clymer book. I'm just not certain what else I can remove from the secondary shaft in order to remove it from the case so that I can rebuild my starter clutch. The only thing I can think of is the circlip on the starter side. But this doesn't make sense to me since you can't simply access it.

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

• Motor Head
  • User
More
19 Jul 2012 21:35 #537151 by Motor Head
In the Parts Fiche it shows the snap ring at the clutch basket. So I would take the clutch cover, then the clutch apart, then remove the snap ring. So it looks anyway. I don't have the twin, but that looks pretty straight forward.
See in the fiche wear it says "reference clutch"?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
19 Jul 2012 22:06 #537162 by Calico
I just noticed the difference on the pic! Mine is the 4 cyl. So the clutch assembly is on a seperate shaft. Now as I mentioned earlier, the only clip I find that may be retaining anything is on the (sitting) left end of the shaft. But this wouldn't make any sense since there is no room to slide anything off inside the case. It seems as though the whole shaft is supposed to be removed but because of the gear on the secondary that gets driven by the starter, it won't budge any further. And I don't see any way to remove it. Unfortunately, the Clymer book isn't exactly being a roadmap about this part of the removal. :angry: The book reads, "tap the shaft towards the clutch side of the engine till the bearing is out. Pull the secondary shaft out (which I can't because of the above mentioned gear) Then remove the secondary sprocket." This is why I need help...

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

• Motor Head
  • User
More
19 Jul 2012 22:24 #537165 by Motor Head
Do you have the clutch side apart? I would think that the clutch side is what is holding you up.

More
20 Jul 2012 06:48 #537235 by Calico
Yes. The clutch, the oil pan, oil pump. I'll take some pictures and see if I can post them. I'm kinda new here so I'll have to figure out how to do that. Shouldn't be to difficult I imagine.

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
20 Jul 2012 08:52 - 20 Jul 2012 09:04 #537241 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Secondary shaft removal
You only remove the shaft, the large sprocket (starter clutch gear) and the starter clutch housing stay in the primary chain until the shaft is out, then they can be removed.

The housing may be a bit tight on the shaft, it sits on splines, but there are no clips or anything holding it. The snap ring you mention doesn't sit on the shaft, it sits on the starter clutch housing opposite the sprocket - no need to remove it unless you want to take the housing apart. Hold on to the housing and pull/tap the shaft, it will come out eventually.

Likewise, when reinstalling you place the housing and sprocket in the primary chain, then insert the shaft - don't forget to install the spacers on each side of the sprocket roller bearing.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 09:04 by OnkelB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head, Calico

More
20 Jul 2012 11:04 #537256 by Calico
Dude you ROCK! Ok, I was afraid of using too much force that I might damage something. So now my intentions are to place some rags between the driven gear and the case and continue to tap away! Thank you so much! And thank you again to everyone for your input, you guys are great!

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
20 Jul 2012 11:18 #537260 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Secondary shaft removal
You're welcome, hope it works out for you. Just be careful not to damage the gear.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.