Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.

More
04 Jul 2012 13:23 #533819 by bobski911
Okay, I've been searching for a straight answer on this, and don't seem to find one. Has anyone run into this issue? My problem is that the cam lobe base circle is not perfect. Which I'm sure most kz's are not.

Where should I take my measurement from? TDC? cam lobe pointing directly away? or at the tightest point on the cam lobe?

I took a measurement at TDC and pointing directly away and got .10mm. When I rotate the cam a touch more it gets tighter than .05mm.

If I take my measurement from the tightest point on the cam base circle, what should I set the clearance for?

One person 3 years ago on this site said the lobes are not perfect and kawasaki told him years ago to point the cam directly away from the buckets and aim for the max clearance. Another person told me measure from the tightest point on the lobe and aim for the tightest clearance.

I want to get this right once and for all. I'm sick of taking the cams off :blink:

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Jul 2012 13:29 #533820 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.
I point them away,but everybody has their own way of doing things B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Jul 2012 13:58 #533827 by bobski911
Replied by bobski911 on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.
Thanks wireman, but what I'm wanting to know is what should I set the clearance too with these tight spots being on the lobe. It seems the difference between pointing directly away and the tight spot is .05mm or more. So, if I set the clearance at .08 at pointing directly away, there is potentially a point on the lobe that is .03mm or smaller.

Thanks

More
04 Jul 2012 14:09 #533829 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.
Modern cams have opening and closing ramps. The cam designer wants to ease the valve open then gently close the valve. This greatly reduces the ware on the valve seats and extends the life of the springs, shims and cam lobes. The only reliable way to check and set the clearances is to point the lobe directly away from the bucket / shim.

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Jul 2012 14:19 #533831 by wireman
You can set the intakes a couple shim sizes away from the tight side of scale since they tend to maintain clearance better than exhuast.
I set the exhuast closer to the middle since they get hot/expand a lot more than intakes do. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Jul 2012 15:07 #533836 by bobski911

wireman wrote: I set the exhuast closer to the middle since they get hot/expand a lot more than intakes do. B)

What do you mean you set it closer to the middle?

Thanks

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Jul 2012 15:32 #533837 by wireman
Middle of the scale for clearance on the shims to allow for expansion as things heat up B)

More
04 Jul 2012 16:21 #533844 by Godfrey
Replied by Godfrey on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.
My thoughts have always been You want the valves closed at TDC compression stroke, "Duh " right?, so I've always measured my clearances at that point, and like wireman, I always shoot for the middle of the spec on the intake and a lil wider on the exhaust.

1981 650CSR frame

1980 KZ750E engine

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Jul 2012 16:39 #533848 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.
i have run into this as well. my thoughts are that if the clearance is toooo tight the valve wont close. so i use the tight spot, and shim to that.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
04 Jul 2012 17:01 #533853 by bobski911

mark1122 wrote: i have run into this as well. my thoughts are that if the clearance is toooo tight the valve wont close. so i use the tight spot, and shim to that.

Thanks guys,

Mark, what kind of clearance would you shim at the tight spot?

More
04 Jul 2012 19:44 #533877 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.
Set your clearance to recommended spec at the tightest point, so most guys would run .10-.15mm at that point.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Jul 2012 22:59 #533911 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Cam lobe base circle varies in clearance.

RonKZ650 wrote: Set your clearance to recommended spec at the tightest point, so most guys would run .10-.15mm at that point.

X2 :)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)