Rattle trap sound from my engine

More
26 Jun 2012 22:25 #532005 by dfinnegan71
Replied by dfinnegan71 on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
Cool, thanks Patton. That's the way I got it but like I said it was a PITA getting them all in together with the one piece MAC 4 into 1 header.

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
26 Jun 2012 22:29 #532006 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
i like to use scotch tape or rubber bands to hold the split collars on the pipe. A small dab of grease works well too :)

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
26 Jun 2012 22:44 #532010 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
The gruesome details. :lol:

Installation of exhaust system.

Assure the old exhaust gaskets are removed from the head, as they are sometimes so encrusted into the head you don't realize they're still there.

Also check for a second old gasket encrusted in the exhaust port.
Sometimes, two old gaskets are used during reassembly instead of one new gasket.

Would always use new copper crush gaskets.

Usually the split collars are okay to reinstall (after cleaning with wire brush).
Split collars come in slightly different lengths.
The correct length is required for particular brand exhaust system being fitted.
For example, a brand new exhaust system typically includes new split collars, perhaps slightly longer than the stock collars to compensate for a thinner flange on the new headers.

After removing all old gaskets, and cleaning the engine exhaust port recess areas with q-tips and acetone, use a dab of Permatex high-temp copper silicone to hold each new gasket in its place inside the port. Let the Permatex set up for a few minutes so it will hold the gaskets in place while you're busy keeping all the collars and clamps together and pushing the header into position without parts falling all over. For me, grease is just too messy and imo less effective toward enhancing the seal.

Fit a pair of split collars onto each header pipe with the small non-flared end pointing toward the engine to press against the flared ends of the header pipes. The flared ends of the split collars fit into recesses in the exhaust clamps.

In other words, the split collars are positioned with the plain end abutting the header flange and with the other end (the curved end) snugly fitted inside the clamp channel. Sometimes it requires some maneuvering to assure close snug fit at the clamp/collar interface.

If preferred, may use masking tape or rubber bands to hold the split collars in place together on the pipe during the installation.
Then it's much easier to lift and maneuver the header into position when only having to fool with the clamps and assuring fitment at all the clamp/collar interfaces.

So with exhaust clamps hanging loosely around header pipes and new copper gaskets fitted inside the head recesses with a dab of hi-temp sealant holding them in position, and split collars taped in position, hold the headers in place on the head against the gaskets.

While holding everything in position, loosely start the clamp holder nuts onto the exhaust studs, and assure all parts being properly fitted and aligned before tightening the exhaust stud nuts against the collars.

Clamps press against split collars.

Split collars press against header flanges.

Header flanges press against copper gaskets.

Good luck with the installation. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomolu5

More
28 Jun 2012 19:32 #532440 by dfinnegan71
WEll now is the time to call me names...Noob! Boob! Idiot! F'n Fool! What have you, it turns out the #4 cylinder making all the racket didn't have one of the split collars installed or even an exhast gasket. I'm a fool. I put this all back together after changing base and head gaskets and somehow missed those two very important details. I have new gaskets on order from Z1 and will reinstall soon. Keep ya posted. I'm so glad it was something as dumb as this! I hope anyway....

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

More
28 Jun 2012 19:34 #532442 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
That sounds like a win to me. You found the problem and can fix it fairly painlessly; what's not to like? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 Jun 2012 19:52 #532446 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
Dumb and Cheap is Good. Bet you wont repeat that mistake. B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
29 Jun 2012 01:42 #532536 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
Sometimes the old gasket will be in there, but will be so mashed in, it will look like there is nothing there. Scratch the surface and see if it's aluminum or copper under all of the carbon. If it's copper, then the old gasket is in there and you probably want to remove it, although it my run fine with the old one under the new one.

More
17 Jul 2012 18:58 #536618 by dfinnegan71
Just an update, I installed the new exhaust gasket and got the split collars in right. She sounds much better now! Thanks you guys.

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
19 Jul 2012 17:56 #537105 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Rattle trap sound from my engine
kewl :cheer:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .