no compression on revalved head?

More
21 Jun 2012 19:46 #530825 by richrand
no compression on revalved head? was created by richrand
I put all new valves in my 1977's head, reassembled the motor but I'm getting no compression. The gasket is new. The valves I used were for a 1976 (square keepers) but it was my understanding that the valves themselves were compatible so long as you used the right keepers (which I did -- i ordered the square ones). Once I determined that there was no compression, I called it a day. Any ideas about what my next step should be? I'm a novice. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jun 2012 21:15 #530841 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic no compression on revalved head?
You say you put some valves in. Please expend on that a bit, did you use new valves, or grind the old ones you had? Did you check the guides, and cut the valve seat angles? Did you check for install height? Check the valve clearance to camshaft? Etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
21 Jun 2012 22:14 #530861 by richrand
Replied by richrand on topic no compression on revalved head?

Motor Head wrote: You say you put some valves in. Please expend on that a bit, did you use new valves, or grind the old ones you had? Did you check the guides, and cut the valve seat angles? Did you check for install height? Check the valve clearance to camshaft? Etc.

All new valves (but spec for a 1976 not a 1977). I did not check the guides or cut the valve seat angle. I also did not check for install height as I believed these would be OEM spec. I did not check for clearance. Just put them in and put it back together. Being honest here. I need advice. Thanks.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jun 2012 22:19 #530863 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic no compression on revalved head?
You will be pulling the head back off I would for sure. These things need to be done correctly for it to work, let alone last.
Do you have a manual for your bike, as it is necessary for the specs and procedures. Best to leave such work to a qualified machine shop.
you can take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances, you will find that they are tight, probably. Adjusting them may gain some compression.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Jun 2012 22:26 #530865 by richrand
Replied by richrand on topic no compression on revalved head?

Motor Head wrote: You will be pulling the head back off I would for sure. These things need to be done correctly for it to work, let alone last.
Do you have a manual for your bike, as it is necessary for the specs and procedures. Best to leave such work to a qualified machine shop.
you can take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances, you will find that they are tight, probably. Adjusting them may gain some compression.

Ok. i'll pull the cover off tomorrow and check the clearances. I do have a manuel. Thanks.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
22 Jun 2012 00:12 #530883 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic no compression on revalved head?
I would check the clearances first, before pulling head, if that checks out, take head off and set it on its side, pour gas or diesel down in each port, check to see if the valves are leaking, do the same for exaust. If they are leaking most likely you will either need to lap them back in or have a machine shop do a valve job.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
22 Jun 2012 00:58 #530896 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic no compression on revalved head?
Hey rich, did you lap the valves? Also with mentioning, money spent with Larry c. Is money well spent, he's right down in morgantown B)

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 Jun 2012 01:15 #530902 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic no compression on revalved head?
The valve seats and differant valves need to be machined together to get a good seal B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
22 Jun 2012 01:18 #530906 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic no compression on revalved head?
Hoping the cams and cam chain were correctly installed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Jun 2012 02:17 #530938 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic no compression on revalved head?
Before you put it back on the next time, vacuum test it. Most top head shops have a vacuum tester.

More
22 Jun 2012 02:38 #530942 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic no compression on revalved head?

richrand wrote:

Motor Head wrote: You say you put some valves in. Please expend on that a bit, did you use new valves, or grind the old ones you had? Did you check the guides, and cut the valve seat angles? Did you check for install height? Check the valve clearance to camshaft? Etc.

All new valves (but spec for a 1976 not a 1977). I did not check the guides or cut the valve seat angle. I also did not check for install height as I believed these would be OEM spec. I did not check for clearance. Just put them in and put it back together. Being honest here. I need advice. Thanks.

I'd start there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Jun 2012 02:57 - 22 Jun 2012 02:58 #530946 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic no compression on revalved head?

APE Jay wrote: Before you put it back on the next time, vacuum test it. Most top head shops have a vacuum tester.

Or the mickey mouse version I used: flip the head over and fill the valve pockets with very thin oil and see if it leaks past the valves. You can take motor oil and thin it with mineral spirits.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Jun 2012 02:58 by bountyhunter.