KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions

More
18 Jun 2012 05:00 #530047 by faffi
KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions was created by faffi
Hi!

I just discovered that my B1 has been fitted with an F1 engine, making my manual for camshaft timing useless since this newer engine use a HyVo cam chain.

With the engine at TDC, the IN mark for the inlet cam isn't quite horizontal/in line with the head (it's below) and the same goes for the exhaust cam, which sits a tooth above. I have 32 pins from the EX mark on the inlet cam and the IN mark on the exhaust cam. It seems to me I should move both cams one tooth - is that a correct assumption?

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2012 14:13 #530100 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions
Use the 750 four manual to set the cam timing, it's the same as the 650 with the hyvo style cam chain.

I'm pretty sure there should be some slack in the chain between the cams when it's properly installed, check the 750 manual to make sure.

KD9JUR

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
18 Jun 2012 15:51 #530113 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions
First if the engine is a North American market F1 it would not of come with the HyVo cam chain. In the US the F1 still had the older style chain. It is my understanding the HyVo was used in the F1 in non-north American markets though.

It is my understanding that for the HyVo chains you should have 45 pins between the 2 marks not 32 you as you indicate.

I have attached a few pages related to cam timing from an 81 FSM (this would cover the F2 and not the F1) Hope they help you answer your questions.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:

More
18 Jun 2012 17:14 #530133 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions
Excellent, thanks "good day for now"(?) - I probably have 45 pins counting that way, too as I only counted partway to some other marks on the sprocets. I will probably advance both cams one tooth so they align up with the head. Or perhaps the chain is so shot there is a full tooth of slack? But wouldn't that make noise? The chain is dead silent when the engine is running.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
18 Jun 2012 22:28 - 18 Jun 2012 22:37 #530227 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions
I forgot that not everyone knows you're a bleedin furriner :laugh:

Inside the cam cover directly above the cam chain is a slider that pushes down on the center of the cam chain. If you have the chain tight when you bolt the cover on it will retard the intake cam timing four degrees.

If you don't have a 750 manual (only difference is your 650 has a smaller bore), you can down load one HERE!!

KD9JUR
Last edit: 18 Jun 2012 22:37 by steell.

More
19 Jun 2012 04:49 #530287 by faffi
Superb, steell! I have printed the pages about torque settings, anything concerning valve train plus the alternator sector in case my bike is fitted with the newer charging system.

PS! I see that even in this manual, 1.2 kgm is listed as the correct torque setting for the cam cap bolts.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
19 Jun 2012 18:13 #530378 by faffi
I now feel like a complete IDIOT :(

The plan was to fit the cams today. Easy enough, lined them up, crank at TDC, tensioner worked out and reset. Only the crank wouldn't turn the cams :angry: Off again with everything, trying to find why the chain wouldn't attach to the crank.

After lots of head scratching and looking I discovered that the chain was on the side of the lower sprocket, a result of sitting on the side stand, I reckon. Raised the bike as close to vertical as I could without a centre stand and eventually got a grip downstairs.

Bolted everything back up again but after turning the engine, the cams were one tooth behind. So, a bit miffed, I marked the chain (to be sure where I were) and moved both cams one tooth forward. Bolted stuff back up, but they were still a tooth behind. WTF :woohoo: Repeat procedure, count links between cams after moving one to verify I really did move it and let the other follow. BUT ONCE MORE I WERE IN THE SAME SPOT.

To top things off, the chained jumped off again on my third attempt :sick: So I walked away before I began doing stupid things.

Now, what logic am I missing? If it was 2 teeth it could be a jump on the crank, but just one puzzles me. Please put me straight!

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jun 2012 22:08 #530413 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions
You did the right thing by stepping back from it. Just wait a while, maybe a couple of days and give it another go. It will come out OK, it can be frustrating working on any machinery for sure.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Jun 2012 04:44 #530696 by faffi
Well, now I feel even more like an idiot :blush: Turned out it was correct all the time :woohoo:

Yesteday, I went at it very analytically. Managed to get the exhaust lined up perfectly with the T mark, chain was tight, added inlet cam in its correct position, sacrificed index finger (ouch) to substitute as a cam chain tensioner and turned the engine over repeatedly. Every time, the marks matched perfectly B) Added cam chain tensioner - and snap! one tooth retarded :blink:

After several turns confirming that the cams were now in fact retarded, I did some calculations and noted that it was less than 10 degrees anyway. Meaning I could live with it. But just for the heck of it, I then read the full chapter about the procedure, and lo and behold; the book said to fit valve cover BEFORE cam chain adjuster. And the only logical explanation I could find is to ensure that anal retentives like me shouldn't start worrying about the marks getting out of line.

Well, I've wasted 5 hours of my life and gained not a lot of knowledge. I have, however, become a master of removing, resetting and refitting the cam chain tensioner in the cramped space below the carbs and I can remove and fit the camshafts rapidly :laugh:

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
21 Jun 2012 09:20 - 22 Jan 2013 20:11 #530713 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ650 F1 camshaft timing questions
pdf KAWASAKI factory manual for the 81 KZ650: jarlef Z650 - Files
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 20:11 by martin_csr.

More
21 Jun 2012 18:09 #530802 by faffi
Thank you B)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition