Running rough

• 5150BOT
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Lithographer,A&P Mechanic
More
17 Jun 2012 02:13 #529777 by 5150BOT
Running rough was created by 5150BOT
Ok I got this thing fired up today its running rough, :( under a load its like it almost runs on 2 cylinders with a chugging feeling..

It starts right up and idles fine

Also I noticed down by the pickup coils the crankshaft looks like it moves side to side just a little bit when I rev it up, is this normal?

And my new coils arrived today,(to late to get em on) not sure if they would help.

I think I need some direction :blink:

1981 KZ1000K1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2012 02:57 #529784 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Running rough
Checked the sparkplug wires and sparkplug caps? They both age, and can lose spark energy. The caps have a 5000 ohm resistor that can go bad from heat and vibration. Compression good?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 5150BOT

• 5150BOT
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2012 03:36 - 17 Jun 2012 03:38 #529790 by 5150BOT
Replied by 5150BOT on topic Running rough
Hi MFolks,
The plug wires n caps are all new. I havent did the compression test yet.. I dont see why it would run like this from compression tho (EDIT: unless the valve lash is way off which a comp test would indicate) let me give you a idea of what its doing and see what you think.

Ok lets say your in 3rd gear and you start to go up a slight upgrade without adding anymore throttle it starts to bog down and then sputters and then chugs almost like you turned off 2 cylinders.. If you add throttle it seems like it loads up and sputters until you rev it up and clear it out

I hate to open and try the new coils if I dont need them...would rather spend the cash on what I need.. do you think the coils could cause this?

1981 KZ1000K1 LTD
Last edit: 17 Jun 2012 03:38 by 5150BOT.

More
17 Jun 2012 10:38 #529820 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Running rough
Clean the carbs.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Jun 2012 11:21 #529832 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Running rough
Where's Pattons -> Check Valve Clearances.... :pinch:

* Clearances to spec
* Ignition timing correct for 1/4 & 2/3 timing...
BTW, you running Points/condenser or Dyna type EI...?
* Clean & SYNC carbs.
* Voltage to Coils to spec...

"crankshaft looks like it moves side to side just a little bit when I rev it up"...
How much is a little bit (in mm or inches) are you seeing...?

What's the condition of your spark plugs (carbon, burned white, 50/50 on the gap) etc...?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 5150BOT
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2012 02:27 - 19 Jun 2012 02:35 #530273 by 5150BOT

Old Man Rock wrote: Where's Pattons -> Check Valve Clearances.... :pinch:

* Clearances to spec
aint done valves yet need a good manual for specs and procdure

* Ignition timing correct for 1/4 & 2/3 timing...
BTW, you running Points/condenser or Dyna type EI...?
havent checked timing yet and Im running the stock electronic ignition

* Clean & SYNC carbs.
not yet

* Voltage to Coils to spec...
Left side I got 10.5 -- Right side I get .3 this is different from a few days ago I had 10.8 at both

"crankshaft looks like it moves side to side just a little bit when I rev it up"...
How much is a little bit (in mm or inches) are you seeing...?
maybe 1.0/1.5 millimeter

What's the condition of your spark plugs (carbon, burned white, 50/50 on the gap) etc...?

123 look ok 4 looks black n sooty

I didnt get to mess with it much since I posted this lack of time, but today I was running it and cylinder 4 wasnt firing right it was way cooler than 123 and I noticed oil/gas coming out around the exhaust port im hoping this was just from not firing? Also I found this by luck when checking the volts to the coils. with engine off the oil pressure light was on when I turned the handle bars to the side the oil light went out when I turned em back the other way the light come on then when off along with all this the tach is acting wierd almost like its back wards its holds or drops with throttle increase then jumps or raises when throttle backed off.. I realize the valves,carbs and timing should and will be checked and set but Im pretty sure that isnt what I need yet its not running like it needs a tuneup you know what I mean, its running like somethings wrong lol and with tthe lack of volts to the right coils and the oil light thing kinda makes me think harness?

1981 KZ1000K1 LTD
Last edit: 19 Jun 2012 02:35 by 5150BOT.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jun 2012 10:35 #530312 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Running rough
You could Temporarily jump the Positive side of the coils from the battery, to test if it will fire on all plugs.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• 5150BOT
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2012 14:44 - 19 Jun 2012 15:30 #530341 by 5150BOT
If I hook up the meter to both the red and green primarys(rightside) I got nothing,, until I engage starter then I get erratic voltage if I do this on the left side I get the 10.8 consistantly
also the right side if i use the poker to the red wire and ground the black poker to the frame I get 11.2volts so this tells me the red wire is hot and ok but the ground side is flakey,,can I jump the - neg wire to batt?

Edit:(can I jump the - neg wire to batt?) <---lol ignor that it was a thought that happened without thinking :blush: ok looked around a bit found a diagram and from it I have the red's come from the run switch, the green and black come from igniter does this sound right right? if so then looking like the igniter? or the wires/connections coming from the igniter right? or how does that work?

1981 KZ1000K1 LTD
Last edit: 19 Jun 2012 15:30 by 5150BOT.

More
19 Jun 2012 19:31 - 19 Jun 2012 19:33 #530386 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running rough
With normal battery positive voltage being received at a good coil's primary wiring terminal, the coil's primary winding reaches ground via the signal wire (through closed points, for example), and the coil "charges" while the primary winding remains grounded.

When the primary wiring's connection to ground through the signal wire is broken (such as when the points open), the primary winding becomes ungrounded, which ungrounding is the event that cause the coil to "fire" through the secondary loop, provided the secondary loop is a completed circuit (not broken by some issue such as a bad plug wire, cap or spark plug).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jun 2012 19:33 by Patton.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jun 2012 22:01 #530410 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Running rough

5150BOT wrote: If I hook up the meter to both the red and green primarys(rightside) I got nothing,, until I engage starter then I get erratic voltage if I do this on the left side I get the 10.8 consistantly
also the right side if i use the poker to the red wire and ground the black poker to the frame I get 11.2volts so this tells me the red wire is hot and ok but the ground side is flakey,,can I jump the - neg wire to batt?

Edit:(can I jump the - neg wire to batt?) <---lol ignor that it was a thought that happened without thinking :blush: ok looked around a bit found a diagram and from it I have the red's come from the run switch, the green and black come from igniter does this sound right right? if so then looking like the igniter? or the wires/connections coming from the igniter right? or how does that work?

As Patton has explained, the ground to the coils is momentary when the engine is rotated. With your set up, it is the Pick-up coils signals through the Ignitior, transmitted to the - neg side of the coils. So measuring the ground as you did it will be "flakey"

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• 5150BOT
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jun 2012 02:18 #530472 by 5150BOT
So with the meter hooked up to left side primarys red&black I get 10.8 and then hooked up to the right side primarys red&green I get nothing or very lil .3 isnt that telling us that the left side is closed or grounded all the time?

Let me see if I got this right, if I rotate the engine so the lobe is signaling/pointing at the correct/left side pickup coil then the left side ignition coil should read with close to 12 volts at the primarys and right side has nothing and then vice versa correct?

1981 KZ1000K1 LTD

More
20 Jun 2012 08:18 #530486 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running rough
The coil primary winding is supposed to become ungrounded as the rotor lobe passes the pickup.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD