GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD

More
07 Jun 2012 17:55 #527522 by BENN5150
Hi, unfortunatly i have managed to cross thread an already poor spark plug thread :( . I have bought a reverse thread chasing tool to repair the offending thread on cylinder 3, but it will not go past the bottom of the thread as it appears there is a washer or something blocking its way. Will i have to remove the head to sort the thread, and if so can i reuse the gasket , as can't afford one at the moment.

Cheers

Benn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2012 21:42 #527554 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD

BENN5150 wrote: Hi, unfortunatly i have managed to cross thread an already poor spark plug thread :( . I have bought a reverse thread chasing tool to repair the offending thread on cylinder 3, but it will not go past the bottom of the thread as it appears there is a washer or something blocking its way. Will i have to remove the head to sort the thread, and if so can i reuse the gasket , as can't afford one at the moment.

Cheers

Benn

Hello,Benn, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

If using the correct size reverse tap, it starts the re-threading process at the bottom of the spark plug hole where the threads are hopefully still good.

The piston should be at the bottom of its stroke so the tool won't hit the top of the piston when the tool is inserted far enough into the spark plug hole to begin the re-threading.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2012 04:37 #527606 by BENN5150
Replied by BENN5150 on topic GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD
Thanks for the reply :) . Yeah thats what I thought was possible. I shined a torch down the hole to see what was blocking the way for the tap, and it apears there is a piece of the head that protrudes over the bottom edge of the thread. Looks like a washer or something, silver in colour? will try and get a picture when the rain and wind stops.

Cheers

Benn

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 Jun 2012 08:14 #527615 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD
Sounds like a open valve so be real carefull.. If you pull the head plan on replacing all gaskets involved. Only copper head gaskets can be reused with proper cleaning and prep . IMO

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
08 Jun 2012 08:44 #527618 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD
yep, that would be a valve which you hopefully havent bent as that would be MUCH more expensive to repair than a head gasket.

any swarf or bits falling into the cylinder might score it, so before skimping on a head gasket, ask yourself if you have deep enough pockets to cover an even worse fate because you did.

Personally, would remove the head to do such work cleanly

If the gasket is not stuck heavily to the head, you might be able to reuse it, but if the head has not been off lately, it will most likely be heavily stuck.

now for some slashing... :)

I still work on a budget myself (just not as tight) and am not old enough to forget the days i was a poor student working on the sidewalk, been there, done that. And yet, on some things, cutting corners is wrong, might end up costing more.

opening the net or a book and reading about how an engine works so you know that that silver washer is an important part called a valve, is the least you can do (and free) if you have to ride a cheap old bike.

last, would help your cause if you introduced yourself nicely to the crowd and not just drop your question in here. just my 0.02$

TG

More
08 Jun 2012 12:27 #527641 by vintagebiker
Replied by vintagebiker on topic GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD
You can do this with the head on. When you get the piston and valves positioned out of the way. Pack your tap solid with grease do a few turns than remove it, clean it off, repack with grease and continue again. repeat until you have it rethreaded. All the filings should stick to the grease. I have been successful before using this method.

If all else fails, JUMP!

More
18 Jun 2012 13:58 #530096 by BENN5150
Replied by BENN5150 on topic GPZ 750 A2 (84) REPAIR SPARK PLUG THREAD
Got the thread sorted now. The reverse thread tool worked a treat :)