Boggs down for a few seconds when given throttle

More
05 Jun 2012 08:43 #527013 by drakewoodie
When driving down the highway and I apply throttle to accelerate it will bog down for a few seconds then pick up speed. Feels like the motor is mis-firing, thought maybe the spark plugs where the cause so checked them and they looked good but went ahead and installed new NGK D8EA plugs anyways, I am still having the issue, also seem to be getting either gas or oil running out the little tube that is attached to the bottom of the air filter box after running the bike.

1981 KZ550C - Kawasaki 550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Jun 2012 08:59 #527018 by wireman
throw a can of sea foam in the tank to scrub the carbs out B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Jun 2012 10:18 #527029 by 650ed
Sounds like you may have overfilled the oil? What is your procedure for topping it off? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Jun 2012 00:44 #527768 by drakewoodie
Replied by drakewoodie on topic Boggs down for a few seconds when given throttle
Well I drained some of the oil out today and took it for a ride no more dripping oil it appears....will put some seafoam in it tomorrow and see what that does

More
09 Jun 2012 00:51 - 09 Jun 2012 00:52 #527769 by Patton
Would also assure that the crankcase oil isn't contaminated with gasoline.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Jun 2012 00:52 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
09 Jun 2012 08:11 - 09 Jun 2012 08:16 #527790 by 650ed

drakewoodie wrote: Well I drained some of the oil out today and took it for a ride no more dripping oil it appears....will put some seafoam in it tomorrow and see what that does

How are you checking the oil level? Are you familiar with the sight glass?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 09 Jun 2012 08:16 by 650ed.

More
09 Jun 2012 12:11 #527819 by drakewoodie
Replied by drakewoodie on topic Boggs down for a few seconds when given throttle

Patton wrote: Would also assure that the crankcase oil isn't contaminated with gasoline.

I don't believe there is any gas in the crankcase oil. I put some on my finger and didn't smell any gas in it and it still seemed to be the right viscosity.

As far as being familiar with the sight glass I am now. I did some research on proper procedure for filling the oil and now know to put it up on the center stand and then fill till its between the two lines

More
09 Jun 2012 17:40 #527842 by drakewoodie

wireman wrote: throw a can of sea foam in the tank to scrub the carbs out B)

Would you use a whole bottle of seafoam or just the suggested amount.....

More
30 Jun 2012 02:07 #532736 by drakewoodie
Update....ran a whole can of seafoam through it engine sounds better but still had issue of it bogging down when the throttle was rolled......was reading the manual and saw steps to try to see if possibly it was running lean or rich.....first was checking to see if it was lean so I tried riding the bike with the choke partially on....this didn't change anything....next step see if its running rich...remove the airfilter and ride the bike.....this resolved the issue....looking at the filter looks lime its coated in oil probably from when I had the oil level too high....so new filter it is. Now if only I could get the charging issue worked out.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jun 2012 11:48 #532776 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Boggs down for a few seconds when given throttle
"Now if only I could get the charging issue worked out"
Check the voltage across the battery with the bike running at 4K RPM and lights on. See if it 14v or so, if low start checking the harness. Pull both side covers and open the seat, check the connections and the fuse panel closely. See any sign of heated wiring, it will have resistance causing voltage drop. Use a voltmeter, check the battery voltage, follow along the harness through the connections and see if there is drop.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Jun 2012 13:58 - 30 Jun 2012 13:58 #532803 by Patton

drakewoodie wrote: Update....ran a whole can of seafoam through it engine sounds better but still had issue of it bogging down when the throttle was rolled......was reading the manual and saw steps to try to see if possibly it was running lean or rich.....first was checking to see if it was lean so I tried riding the bike with the choke partially on....this didn't change anything....next step see if its running rich...remove the airfilter and ride the bike.....this resolved the issue....looking at the filter looks lime its coated in oil probably from when I had the oil level too high....so new filter it is....

Hopefully, whatever issue was causing fuel drainage from the overflow circuit has also been resolved.
If not, too high fuel level could still be causing an excessively rich mixture partially masked by running without an air filter which tends toward leaner running.

In other words:
Too high fuel level > too rich.
No air filter > too lean.

The two faulty conditions, working together, tend to cancel each other out.
But it's no way to run a railroad.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Jun 2012 13:58 by Patton.

More
01 Jul 2012 00:36 #532939 by drakewoodie

Patton wrote: Hopefully, whatever issue was causing fuel drainage from the overflow circuit has also been resolved.
If not, too high fuel level could still be causing an excessively rich mixture partially masked by running without an air filter which tends toward leaner running.

In other words:
Too high fuel level > too rich.
No air filter > too lean.

The two faulty conditions, working together, tend to cancel each other out.
But it's no way to run a railroad.

It wasn't fuel that was over flowing it was oil due to me being new to a bike and overfilling it with oil. I have corrected the issue and it hasn't had anything dripping in quite some time.