Kick kick kick and it just won't run...

More
06 Jun 2012 21:21 #527327 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Kick kick kick and it just won't run...

baldy110 wrote: If it won't fire on starter fluid then you have an ignition problem.

+1 on what baldy110 said. If the starter fluid didn't work then its unlikely the carbs. The aerosol atomized starting fluid (fuel) pretty much replaces the function of the carburetors for that brief moment. So it could be your timing, or weak spark or something else.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
06 Jun 2012 22:11 #527337 by Hatchet
Replied by Hatchet on topic Kick kick kick and it just won't run...
Does the flywheel concept I mentioned last post seem like a feasible explanation?

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Jun 2012 01:31 #527387 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Kick kick kick and it just won't run...
Have you had this bike running before? If so what all have you done, now that it won't start.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 01:45 #527389 by Hatchet

Motor Head wrote: Have you had this bike running before? If so what all have you done, now that it won't start.

I have not. A long time project.

Bikers are a rare breed.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 01:51 #527392 by Motor Head
Ok, so what have you done? motor work? Have the cam chain off? Disassemble any of the engine, or ignition?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 01:59 #527397 by Hatchet
I have not touched any of the internals whatsoever. With the exception of the carburetors, I have not messed with any of the engine parts.

The exception is when I removed the generator cover to remove a broken electric starter chain. When this happened, I carelessly budged the flywheel about a half-turn from where it was.

I am more and more suspecting that this is the problem. Thoughts?

Bikers are a rare breed.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 02:06 #527398 by Motor Head
That would have nothing to do with the engine mechanical timing or effect the ignition timing. Your carbs, you say are getting fuel. You tried starting fluid, but didn't get it to fire. But there was some Kick back, correct? Then checking that the Ignition is firing at the correct time would be a good place to start, but also verifying the engine mechanical timing and compression. Do you have a compression tester?

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 02:16 #527399 by Hatchet
Hmm.

Yes, the carbs are getting fuel. And I am experiencing kick back, albeit on a somewhat inconsistent basis (sometimes it kicks all the way through cleanly, other times it kicks me back hard about halfway down).

Nada on the compression tester. I will try to get my hands on one a.s.a.p. in order to check...

Whatever the case, we are narrowing it down.

I appreciate your posts, Motor Head!

Bikers are a rare breed.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 10:11 #527445 by Motor Head
Hopefully you have a service manual for your bike, as that will help you a lot. It will show you how to test the compression, what the spec is, how to check the valve clearances, and check the ignition timing. It will also tell you how to check the mechanical engine timing,thats the relation of the crankshaft to the camshaft. Now on your bike it looks like it should have the Ignition pick-up oont he right side of the cylinder head, under a small cover. It may not be slotted where it bolts down, as they were set up by Kawasaki and not changeable without making slots. You shouldn't need to slot it either if everything is correct. If the cam to crank mechanical timing is off, then of course it will throw off the ignition. Also if the advancer assembly is on incorrectly this can mess up the timing of the ignition. So some simple checks are needed to verify. Rule out the easy stuff first.